GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB graphics
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey Guys,

I have this weird problem that I can't seem to solve.
For my sound I use an external firefwire audio card "Presonus Firebox"
And every time I move something on the screen (Type, open a new window, move the mouse, etc)
a weird crackling/hiss comes out of the speakers. I looked it up and it sounds much like the coil whine allot of people are talking about.

I already tried turning off c1 etc in the BIOS, but without luck.
The weird thing is that when I have my headphones plugged into the external audio card I don't get the noise.

When I remove the kabel to my monitor from the videocard the noise goes away.
My videocard is 9800 GT Geforce..
So try buying a new one? It would be a shame if it didn't work.
I find it really weird that I don't hear the noise trough my headphones.

All help is welcome. Preferably when I don't have to buy new stuff, because if it doesn't work I would have bought it for nothing.
If more info about my build is required please ask.

Any ideas guys?
More people are struggling with this problem. Haven't seen another fix then mingling with the BIOS.

Lemme know

Same issue with mine. GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard. M-Audio studio monitors. Also no noise with headphones.

Hey,

I got to fix a little bit of the problem by installing Quartz Debug and Disabling 2D acceleration.
It doesn't however completely solve the problem and I still get a high pitched noise coming from only my speakers not my headphones.
Solutions welcome

I tried a new videocard without luck.
Does it maybe have to deal with the generate P and C states kexts ?

It's RF interference basically. Some audio hardware are just prone to it (cheap ones), and others are not. I'm using a MOTU828mk2 and no problems with RF/EM interference.

One way of reducing it is via ground shielding. But with today's all-plastic cases, shielding is apparently non-existent anymore. Plastic doesn't do any good in combating interference.

You can try adding some distance between your case and your audio interface.

I've tried the interface on another computer and then I don't have the wine.
But I ordered another FireWire PCI card this one is rather cheap. I hope that the interference was coming from that.
Otherwise I'm gonna try switching to an usb card. I'll tell you tomorrow if the other firewire card did the trick
I really hope so!

Ok guys,
Hope some of you can come up with suggestions.
I've switched to an usb interface 'cause the other firewire card didn't do the trick.

I got rid of the high pitched noise by disabling c1, eist and c3/c6 in the bios.
But I still have a crackling noise when I have a high cpu load, or movement on the screen. (so when my cpu has to work)
I have no sound coming from the board its self (other than from my hdd) but I do hear the sound coming trough my speakers.
Is my PSU to small or no good? HKC ultra silent power 550W..

i7 core
Nvidia 260 1gb
ssd
hdd
8gb ram

same whining noise here also....

I also use a FW audio device but have no issues out of the headphone of that unit. (Focusrite Saffire 56)

I have the whining noise out of onboard audio (i haven't resolved the x79 issue with onboard sound yet....later today) and that may help but i am not sure.... I will let you know.

I wonder if the issue is with FW devices and audio?

I solved it guys.
Hope I can help allot of you out with it.
I switched to an USB audio device. And the noise persisted.
Then I bought a powered usb hub (make sure it is one with a fairly high power output).

Bam the noise is gone.

C1. And powersaving states etc should also be turned off. But I guess most of you already did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back