Contribute
Register

Coil whine crackling noise when movement on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I solved it guys.
Hope I can help allot of you out with it.
I switched to an USB audio device. And the noise persisted.
Then I bought a powered usb hub (make sure it is one with a fairly high power output).

Bam the noise is gone.

C1. And powersaving states etc should also be turned off. But I guess most of you already did this.

wow im not switching interfaces.....what DAW do you use...?? Because USB ports can be tricky with Pro Tools

I will check on the C and P states...Thanks for the update.

i believe that it has to do with the video .. (even if i ll try to electrically isolate the MotherBoard's mounting screws somehow)...

btw i m using prodigy's cube usb D/A converter for output and facing the same issue ...

A little late, but I don't want anyone to spend as much time as I did trying to fix this, as I could not find an answer by searching these forums.

I had the same exact problem on my hackintosh - dual boot with Yosemite and Windows 8.1, with a slightly different buzzing sound in each OS - but not on my old PC laptop.

I was using a USB interface with audio output through a pair of KRK Rokits. I have no additional graphics card. PSU is in great shape. My case is metal and not cheap.

RF interference was definitely an issue - it was slightly better when I unplugged the wireless keyboard and bluetooth receivers. I tried putting them through an (unpowered) USB hub with no improvement. Put the USB hub through a 16 foot USB extension cord with the receivers on the other side of the room. Maybe some improvement, but not enough.

My next option was to buy ferrite chokers to hopefully block the RF, and then buy more parts in the hopes that they would help, or replace the ones I already had.

HOWEVER, I FOUND A SOLUTION BEFORE SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY: DISCONNECT THE GROUND FROM THE AUDIO POWER SOURCE.

Here is the best link to where I learned this. The answer is NOT in the original post. However, multiple people in the comments went through hell trying to fix the same issue and eventually had success with this method. If you don't want to pull out the ground for good, buy a power adapter that lets you use just the other two prongs.

http://www.viper007bond.com/2010/02/23/high-pitched-noise-over-speakers-when-moving-mouse/

I hope this helps someone.

EDIT: I've learned this may be dangerous so consult an electrician before listening to me.

This is exactly the same thing that was happening to me. hissing/whine sound when moving the cursor or scrolling down a webpage while the speakers were on - but nothing playing.

Thanks hayeverybodywhutsup for pointing out the Ground loop issue.

While it hasn't solved the hissing/whine 100%, it has certainly made a huge improvement to the setup I am using. I can hardly hear it at all even when the volume is turned up on the speaker with nothing playing on the computer.

I suspect the additional noise/interference is produced from fairly standard el cheapo speaker components used in these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141341368219?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

GA39813 PULSE - ACTIVE50-BK - SPEAKERS, 6" 50W ACTIVE - got them as an eBay special. Do the job for the price. But its like they say. You get what you pay for..

7/02/16: edit: Am now using USB speakers. Unwanted noise/whine/sounds = gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back