Contribute
Register

Coffee Lake i7-8700K Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having pretty good luck with my Fatal1ty ASROCK Z370 ITX/ac, Intel 8700K, 32GB DDR4, Samsung 960 Pro NVME SSD, MSI AMD RX VEGA64 Iron, exclusive of the Intel WIFI/Bluetooth 8265. Using IOgear Dongle for BT don't need WIFI. It was working fine for a while until I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.2... what a bummer... it went out for coffee, my Expresso turned into Folgers Instant... Black screen, ACPIO timeouts. I completely re-installed 10.13.2 anew, its working again and its fast!!! Still a lot of tweaking to do, fighting with Clover on boot drive (lack of experience on my part,) have been booting with the install dongle. Everything except wifi seems to work for now, even tried Thunderbolt and it worked for an ethernet connector. Interestingly, the thunderbolt section is blank in the system report. No idea as to what iMac model designation I should use? I was originally going to swap out my Intel 8265 M.2 WIFI/BT with a Dell 1830 Broadcom BCM943602BAED M.2 but also use system for windows 10 much easier to use the dongle just for BT.

me
I am working on a similar build.

Asrock Z370 ITX
I7-8700
Samsung Pro 960 512GB SSD
Internal Video

I get a hang during the USB boot at around the point where it starts talking about USB ports. The funny thing is it hangs at different spot each time though it is within 15 lines each time. Would you be will to share any files etc. you used.

First off, fantastic job to you and everyone else who helped you along the way on getting the 8700k working in a stable manor. I read through that thread and although is seems very detailed, there are some parts where I was confused when following the steps. This could be because I'm not actually going through the steps and instead am trying to understand what it is that needs to be done. I have never built a hackintosh before, but have spent many hours here reading through threads and trying to familiarize myself before diving in. Building a 8700k is something I ultimately want, but I'm wondering if putting my "want" aside and getting a 7700k would be the most hassle free route. How likely do you think it is for a first timer to succeed on getting that 8700k stable?
Thank you. I appreciate it. It was my first time building a pc and my first time making a Hackintosh. The fact that I got it to work is entirely due to the amazing amount of help and info available here on Tonymac!!. I would not let "first time" stop you. Give it a try. Even if it's not 100% stable at first, you can tweek it over time. And people on the site are super helpful and kind. So anytime you need assistance, if someone on this site knows, they will help you.

Last edited:
I am working on a similar build.

Asrock Z370 ITX
I7-8700
Samsung Pro 960 512GB SSD
Internal Video

I get a hang during the USB boot at around the point where it starts talking about USB ports. The funny thing is it hangs at different spot each time though it is within 15 lines each time. Would you be will to share any files etc. you used.
More than likely it will be boot flags that is causing your hangups. Identifying exactly what they need to be can be a bit tough. The easiest approach is to turn off everything that could hold things up. Like turn off all Kexts and turn off NVidia drivers and turn on verbosity so that you can see what is happening if it should fail.

Thank you. I appreciate it. It was my first time building a pc and my first time making a Hackintosh. The fact that I got it to work is entirely due to the amazing amount of help and info available here on Tonymac!!. I would not let "first time" stop you. Give it a try. Even if it's not 100% stable at first, you can tweek it over time. And people on the site are super helpful and kind. So anytime you need assistance, if someone on this site knows, they will help you.

You're absolutely right. I decided to go forward with the build. I'm going to following pastrychef's latest guide of his z370 build. Seems very straight forward so I'll see if that's actually the case when my parts arrive this Monday!

SIR, I Have An i7 8700K Processer I cant able to install Mac os Sierra in my system so plzz help me out

SIR, I Have An i7 8700K Processer I cant able to install Mac os Sierra in my system so plzz help me out
Same boat. I wonder if it's a compatibility thing. Do you get the Prohib sign?

Holy moly. I'm only seeing these two posts now. For some reason I never got emailed that any one was responding on this post. I'm so sorry. How have your build's proceeded? Any success? If not, where are you stuck? Maybe I can help, even if so late. I'm truly sorry for missing your posts.

Holy moly. I'm only seeing these two posts now. For some reason I never got emailed that any one was responding on this post. I'm so sorry. How have your build's proceeded? Any success? If not, where are you stuck? Maybe I can help, even if so late. I'm truly sorry for missing your posts.

No problem! This happened to me helping out someone else. And I responded how you did, but I never heard back. –I guess no news is good news. I think that part of the notification system is busted.

I'm on Mojave now, I didn't have a working build until November, but it was always touch and go for a month. The way I finally got High Sierra to work:
Cloned my Mini, stripped out the EFI partition contents from the clone and built a new EFI folder from a Mojave version TonyMac version and jimmied the configuration to High Sierra and installed the proper kexts for High Sierra.
It was the brute force way, but it's the only non-prohib High Sierra that I ever got.

Now that I've configured clean secondary systems on backup SSDs, it's much easier. I should have kept track of the attempts, but since June 21, I imagine it was at least 50. :lol: Besides Tonymac, there are a few people who made all the difference and I'd be on Windows 10 without them: @jb007 @kgp @RehabMan

Last edited:
No problem! This happened to me helping out someone else. And I responded how you did, but I never heard back. –I guess no news is good news. I think that part of the notification system is busted.

I'm on Mojave now, I didn't have a working build until November, but it was always touch and go for a month. The way I finally got High Sierra to work:
Cloned my Mini, stripped out the EFI partition contents from the clone and built a new EFI folder from a Mojave version TonyMac version and jimmied the configuration to High Sierra and installed the proper kexts for High Sierra.
It was the brute force way, but it's the only non-prohib High Sierra that I ever got.

Now that I've configured clean secondary systems on backup SSDs, it's much easier. I should have kept track of the attempts, but since June 21, I imagine it was at least 50. :lol: Besides Tonymac, there are a few people who made all the difference and I'd be on Windows 10 without them: @jb007 @kgp @RehabMan

WOW!, That never even occurred to me. Great idea!
I literally sat there for days and days and days testing each and every option possible until I made progress on the particular issue I was having. Crazy I know, but at the time I was the only one working on the hardware I was using. So I didn't see any other choice. I have to say that Tonymac is a godsend when it comes to finding help/info/ideas etc on obscure boot issues! And yes I've seen posts from some of them before. RehabMan in particular is responsible for writing some of the apps we use to build these machines in the first place! Amazing talent he has.

This happened to me again just now because I'm currently building a Z390 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC mobo with i9-9900K CPU overclocked to 4.9ghz. I've seen one post of a successful build online, but the guy is not sharing any details. Only screen shots of successful boot with the "About this mac" window open showing the details. Oh well. My current station is booting perfectly. I made it dual boot into Windows 10 64 pro. I have 1tb NVME SSD as the main boot drive for mac. 2tb SSD for Windows. ( I play VR Games ), that's why windows get 2tb. hehe.

And I'm glad you had success in your build!
Awesome!

WOW!, That never even occurred to me. Great idea!
I literally sat there for days and days and days testing each and every option possible until I made progress on the particular issue I was having. Crazy I know, but at the time I was the only one working on the hardware I was using. So I didn't see any other choice. I have to say that Tonymac is a godsend when it comes to finding help/info/ideas etc on obscure boot issues! And yes I've seen posts from some of them before. RehabMan in particular is responsible for writing some of the apps we use to build these machines in the first place! Amazing talent he has.

This happened to me again just now because I'm currently building a Z390 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC mobo with i9-9900K CPU overclocked to 4.9ghz. I've seen one post of a successful build online, but the guy is not sharing any details. Only screen shots of successful boot with the "About this mac" window open showing the details. Oh well. My current station is booting perfectly. I made it dual boot into Windows 10 64 pro. I have 1tb NVME SSD as the main boot drive for mac. 2tb SSD for Windows. ( I play VR Games ), that's why windows get 2tb. hehe.

And I'm glad you had success in your build!
Awesome!

Do you need a fix to use the i9 9900k? Check this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macmans-build-asus-tuf-z390-pro-gaming-i9-9900k-uhd-630.275272/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back