Contribute
Register

Clover/Yosemite shows no SATA drives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOOYAH!! Installer booted. Going on a fresh drive right now. Cross your fingers... Gotta love when the progress bar says "about a second remaining" for like, five minutes...

I realize this is now an exercise in mental masturbation (not to be crude...) but in case anyone runs into the same problem as I. I got Yosemite installed and booted, and yes, all my SATA drives mount just fine now.

My issues were, in order of repair:

• achieve true UEFI clover boot (had to start with a very clean, sparse config file; used my DSDT that was pre-edited from a Mavericks/Chameleon system, and turned off Clover's DSDT fixes; copied cloverx64.efi to the root directory and named it shellx64.efi, though I don't know if that was required...)

• get kexts injected properly (fakeSMC, NullCPU, Ethernet) by adding <key>injectkexts</key><true/> to config file

• resolve USB problems (plugged USB flash drive into first USB port, turned off EHCI handoff in BIOS, injected genericusbxhci.kext into Clover's 10.10 kext folder... unknown if needed, but my USB issues while booting resolved themselves after these steps)

Outstanding issues (but not deal breakers):

• getting UEFI USB boot to "stick" as my primary boot option... it keeps reverting to legacy, and I have to go to the boot manager to select UEFI... :-/

• I also still haven't used migration assistant to get my old install into the clean Yosemite install. That might screw **** up. :) I have CCC'ed the clean good Yosemite install to an image, so I can always start fresh quickly if I need.

Thanks for listening. It was cathartic. :p

Aaand, all done. Used migration assistant, cloned to my RAID0 boot array, copied EFI to the RAID drives, setup the boot options in my boot manager, and it's all good to go.

It was a steep learning curve, coming from Chameleon/Chimera, BUT Clover is clearly the way to go. With one boot loader on ESP, can reliably boot a perfectly-working vanilla install. Native iMessage/iCloud, and booting from RAID0 without worrying about helper partition. Very sweet. Also, 128k block support for RAID! Very pleased.

Aaand, all done. Used migration assistant, cloned to my RAID0 boot array, copied EFI to the RAID drives, setup the boot options in my boot manager, and it's all good to go.

It was a steep learning curve, coming from Chameleon/Chimera, BUT Clover is clearly the way to go. With one boot loader on ESP, can reliably boot a perfectly-working vanilla install. Native iMessage/iCloud, and booting from RAID0 without worrying about helper partition. Very sweet. Also, 128k block support for RAID! Very pleased.

Very glad you're up and running! And hopefully your recap of getting things working will provide a nice reference to others having similar difficulties.

Also relieved you didn't have problems with Migration Assistant - it was actually the start of all of my problems. I had done a clean install (originally with Unibeast/Multibeast/Chimera) and then, when I was satisfied everything was working well, I fired up Migration Assistant and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and couldn't even boot up.

And that's when I broke down and went the Clover route...

Very glad you're up and running! And hopefully your recap of getting things working will provide a nice reference to others having similar difficulties.

Also relieved you didn't have problems with Migration Assistant - it was actually the start of all of my problems. I had done a clean install (originally with Unibeast/Multibeast/Chimera) and then, when I was satisfied everything was working well, I fired up Migration Assistant and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and couldn't even boot up.

And that's when I broke down and went the Clover route...

Trying to get trim working, using the on-the-fly kext patching. Have the requisite entry in config file (replacing hex values for ahciblockstorage kext), but trim always shows "no" in system profiler...

As long as I'm using the kext developer = 1 boot argument, I shouldn't have to worry about the kext signing boot error if I use Trim Enabler, right?? I might just do that. I can't get patching the hex values in the kext right, on-the-fly through Clover... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back