Contribute
Register

Clover/Yosemite shows no SATA drives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P8P67 Pro
CPU
i5 2500K
Graphics
Radeon 6850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Quick story: installed Yosemite to an external USB drive to get it right before trying to get it in place of Mavericks on my RAID0 boot array. Got it going fine, but then discovered that fileNVRAM.dylib seems to be deprecated and doesn't work for iMessage any more in Yosemite.

So started fooling around with Clover, which is AWESOME, BTW. Got everything working... BUT, now none of my internal hard SATA drives are showing up. Like, AT ALL. In System Profiler, the ports are recognized and even named correctly (go figure!!), but there is "Unknown" attached to each one. It is rather eery. I tried attaching the drive from my USB enclosure internally via SATA and booting from that, and it gets to the apple logo and then just freezes forever. Clover the boot loader itself can see all my drives, but when I boot into Yosemite, it's like it loses its ability to recognize SATA drives??

It's the same whether or not I load my DSDT through Clover, or not...

Any ideas??

BTW, should also mention that Clover boots my Mavericks RAID0 array, no problem whatsoever, all drives recognized and accessed just fine. What's more, it even allows logging in and out of iCloud, iMessage, etc., which was NEVER possible with Chimera/Chameleon when booting from a RAID0.

So it's something to do with Yosemite/Clover combination, because when I boot the USB Yosemite volume using Chimera, my internal drives DO show up...

I had some weird issues like this too. I was able to boot from a Windows 7 drive but not my Clover/Yosemite drive. My hackintosh also stopped reading my two USB sticks, even though they worked on my MacBook Air.

I'm not positive I can pinpoint precisely what fixed my issue, but the most likely culprit is the BIOS (or how Clover interacted with my existing BIOS settings). Anyway, here's what I did:

• Unplugged all drives except for system drive. (Not sure if your RAID0 causes extra issues?)
  • Reset BIOS to defaults, then re-applied essential settings per model builds
  • Made sure Clover was properly installed on the hidden EFI partition; then
  • Before rebooting:
    • downloaded and copied appropriate config.plist to EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist
    • edited config.plist as appropriate
    • created a "10.10" folder inside the "kexts" folder, i.e. EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10
    • Added FakeSMC.kext to this folder (plus your networking kext)

Not sure, but I may have reinstalled Yosemite yet again (and re-set the BIOS yet again) in the process of trying the same basic things over and over again. Anyway, after 2-3 days of frustration, I eventually got everything to work.

Also, if/when you get the system up and running for the first time, make a Carbon Copy Clone of it before making any changes. And then make CCClones before even minor tweaks; sometimes the simplest/smallest changes can break your build. For example, once I had Clove up and running, I installed the ALC898 kext via Multibeast. The computer wouldn't reboot. So I restored the drive with the prior CC Clone and tried again - then it worked.

(Note, I have a SATA/USB docking station, so I could pull my system drive and backup drive, plug them into the docking station, then plug that into my working MacBook Air, and restore that way.)

Good luck!

I had some weird issues like this too. I was able to boot from a Windows 7 drive but not my Clover/Yosemite drive. My hackintosh also stopped reading my two USB sticks, even though they worked on my MacBook Air.

I'm not positive I can pinpoint precisely what fixed my issue, but the most likely culprit is the BIOS (or how Clover interacted with my existing BIOS settings). Anyway, here's what I did:

• Unplugged all drives except for system drive. (Not sure if your RAID0 causes extra issues?)
  • Reset BIOS to defaults, then re-applied essential settings per model builds
  • Made sure Clover was properly installed on the hidden EFI partition; then
  • Before rebooting:
    • downloaded and copied appropriate config.plist to EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist
    • edited config.plist as appropriate
    • created a "10.10" folder inside the "kexts" folder, i.e. EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10
    • Added FakeSMC.kext to this folder (plus your networking kext)

Not sure, but I may have reinstalled Yosemite yet again (and re-set the BIOS yet again) in the process of trying the same basic things over and over again. Anyway, after 2-3 days of frustration, I eventually got everything to work.

Also, if/when you get the system up and running for the first time, make a Carbon Copy Clone of it before making any changes. And then make CCClones before even minor tweaks; sometimes the simplest/smallest changes can break your build. For example, once I had Clove up and running, I installed the ALC898 kext via Multibeast. The computer wouldn't reboot. So I restored the drive with the prior CC Clone and tried again - then it worked.

(Note, I have a SATA/USB docking station, so I could pull my system drive and backup drive, plug them into the docking station, then plug that into my working MacBook Air, and restore that way.)

Good luck!

what I find strange is that clover sees all my boot drives just fine, can boot Mavericks from any drive (with internal sata drives accessible), and can boot Yosemite from usb. And it's strange that when booting that same Yosemite usb volume using Chimera, sata drives are accessible.

what I find strange is that clover sees all my boot drives just fine, can boot Mavericks from any drive (with internal sata drives accessible), and can boot Yosemite from usb. And it's strange that when booting that same Yosemite usb volume using Chimera, sata drives are accessible.

That is very strange. I think your original hunch is right, that there's something weird with how Clover and Yosemite work together. And unfortunately I don't know what the problem is. All I can say is that I experienced something very similar and eventually got past it by basically following the installation guide several times over, with the addition of resetting the BIOS on either side of the system and Clover installs. But unfortunately I don't know which specific step(s) fixed it, just that I eventually got it working that way. So if nothing else, hopefully that can provide some vague inspiration to keep trying :)

Hopefully someone who knows more about what's going on can chime in to offer more specific, constructive advice :)

Is your Clover Legacy or UEFI build? What is the setting in the BIOS for CSM support? Are SATA ports set for UEFI only, UEFI + Legacy or Legacy only in the BIOS?

These are the main settings that may be cause of your problem.

Is your Clover Legacy or UEFI build? What is the setting in the BIOS for CSM support? Are SATA ports set for UEFI only, UEFI + Legacy or Legacy only in the BIOS?

These are the main settings that may be cause of your problem.

Thanks for weighing in. I think we may be getting closer. When I install Clover to the usb stick for UEFI to the ESP, I choose UEFI:USB volume in my boot manager which results in a very brief black screen before getting kicked back out to the boot manager. So I installed for legacy support, and then I am able to run clover without the UEFI option, which is what I have been doing ever since. Could this be related? Why do you suppose it won't load through UEFI?

i don't see an option for CSM in my bios, except "secure boot" which I gather is related?? I have that set to "other os" I believe.

As for my drives, the only options are AHCI, IDE, or Disable. Are all set to AHCI. Additionally, I have tried with both "hot swap enabled" and disabled. Doesn't affect it.

Board is Asus p8p67 pro. I ought to be able to use UEFI right?

Okay, just checked my BIOS, and there is NO option for CSM, and NO option for Secure Boot, at all.

???

Just tried loading clover via legacy, with all hard drives unplugged, and booting the Yosemite installer from the USB stick, and still no go. Just sits at the apple sign forever.

Okay I have made some progress here. I was able to get UEFI boot working properly by replacing the config file with the more simple pared down version. I believe this fixed the problem with accessing SATA drives. I think there was a problem with using my DSDT file in conjunction with clovers DSDT fixes so I disabled clovers fixes and I'm just using my DSDT. Problem now is when I try to boot into the USB installer I get a kernel panic from the Apple Intel CPU power management kext. I don't know why this would be because I have null CPU and fake SMC in the 10.10 folder for clover. When I try to boot to my previous Yosemite install that I did under Chimera, which I used to be able to boot using clover legacy over USB and now I get a strange USB error bus 14 already in use at the boot hangs. Curiouser and curiouser. I haven't tried deleting the Apple Intel CPU power management text because it seems to me it ought to be able to boot with that installed. Any more ideas?

I'm a bit of a rube. So I assumed kexts were being injected from 10.10, etc. However, no. I had to add <key>InjectKexts<key/><true/> to the config. Now at least I get past the kernel panic when booting the installer... however eventually it hangs in an endless loop of what appears to be waiting for some volume to become available??

And when I boot the previous yosemite install that booted with Chimera, I STILL get the "bus 14 already in use" error, although it gets further along in the verbose boot process before this eventually gets thrown on the screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back