Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
Intel i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
I'm having a few issues related to Clover.

Clover is new to me and still trying to figure it out (that said I never had Chimira figured out either lol) Idon't know what the hell I'm doing. most of what i do when it comes to fixing computer stuff is trial and error.

I have El Capitan and Windows on separate SSDs
So yesterday i had issues installing El Capitan, however while waiting for help here on this forum, my windows would load from the Clover boot screen. Now after getting the help i needed my El Capitan is working great. But now tonight I went to load into windows and it won't. I just get a black screen and a blinking cursor.
I have no doubt I screwed something up messing around with clover and config.plist as I was trying to set up El Capitan.

My windows is legacy. I don't know what that means but I think that is the issue. (or part of it anyway)

First of all, here a screen shot of my bios which seems to be all screwed up. I don't even see the windows drive listed. (the vertex is a back up drive) I even tried disconnecting my El Capitan SSD thinking then it would just load into windows but then I get a message basically saying nothing is connected. o_O
bios.jpg

One possible reason I think its all messed up is because I have multiple config.plists (2 on the efi mount in different locations, and 1 on the El Capitan volume, and 2 backups)
I should only have 1 correct? What location should it be and I will delete the others if need be.

Also I was previously using Yosemite, but my volume name still said Mavericks. In my finder and in the config.plist i renamed it to El Capitan, I don't know if that screwed something up also. Seems like it must have since my bios still says Mavericks.

This is all like chinese to me :banghead:

thanks for any help

I'm having a few issues related to Clover.

Clover is new to me and still trying to figure it out (that said I never had Chimira figured out either lol) Idon't know what the hell I'm doing. most of what i do when it comes to fixing computer stuff is trial and error.

I have El Capitan and Windows on separate SSDs
So yesterday i had issues installing El Capitan, however while waiting for help here on this forum, my windows would load from the Clover boot screen. Now after getting the help i needed my El Capitan is working great. But now tonight I went to load into windows and it won't. I just get a black screen and a blinking cursor.
I have no doubt I screwed something up messing around with clover and config.plist as I was trying to set up El Capitan.

My windows is legacy. I don't know what that means but I think that is the issue. (or part of it anyway)

First of all, here a screen shot of my bios which seems to be all screwed up. I don't even see the windows drive listed. (the vertex is a back up drive) I even tried disconnecting my El Capitan SSD thinking then it would just load into windows but then I get a message basically saying nothing is connected. o_O
View attachment 154413

One possible reason I think its all messed up is because I have multiple config.plists (2 on the efi mount in different locations, and 1 on the El Capitan volume, and 2 backups)
I should only have 1 correct? What location should it be and I will delete the others if need be.

Also I was previously using Yosemite, but my volume name still said Mavericks. In my finder and in the config.plist i renamed it to El Capitan, I don't know if that screwed something up also. Seems like it must have since my bios still says Mavericks.

This is all like chinese to me :banghead:

thanks for any help

Clover should be able to boot Legacy Windows, but try enabling CSM in BIOS and see if that does anything...

Also, for config.plist. There should be only one, you're correct, named config.plist. You can have others named like, config[test].plist, or config[nodsdtpatch].plist, or something, but the only plist that Clover will read on boot is config.plist. If you have more than one, delete them.

Make sure you can boot Windows using Windows Boot Manager first, though...

CSM was enabled.

ok this is whats making me feel dumb and confused....
When I disconnect my El Capitan SSD and only my windows SSD is connected, I would assume I should have no issues booting into just windows. (it was working fine last night) Yet my bios looks the same as the image I posted above and I don't see the SSD drive at all?????

Why do I have 2 "mac OS X"? and why does it show clover at all? Clover gets installed to the El Capitan SDD right? (not into Bios?) if the El Capitan SSD is disconnected how does all of that show?

btw, just to be clear I have 3 SDDs connected..... El Capitan, Windows 10, and a back up SSD (The vertex)

Sorry I just have very limited knowledge with all of this, right now my brain is....... :beachball:

nevermmind this post...

ok I think I'm on the right track......(as usual, not sure but I'm trying lol)

This is in my config.plist....... if my windows is legacy, this isn't right is it??? what do I change this too?

<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>Windows</string>
<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>

Also CSM is enabled and UEFI and legacy are selected in my Bios

SOLVED! :headbang:

Found the info I needed here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...instal-but-windows-wont-boot-anyone-help.html

I simply needed to change the boot option to "LegacyBiosDefault"

I am currently also messing with this, only i got a legacy Windows 10 install (for my BIOS board, not UEFI)

Booting the System Reserved partition with PBR results in only the Windows logo forever.

Switching from PBR to LegacyBiosDefault should work, but with LegacyBiosDefault i can't even see the Windows logo. Also a LegacyBiosDefaultEntry field below it pops up, i tried 1 and 2, but nothing works so far.

Is there a way to boot Windows 10 (non UEFI install) with the EFI boot loader (Clover)?
Or do i have to install Windows 10 through Clover so it will become a UEFI Windows.
(I'd rather not do that, then i loose the ability to boot Windows directly without Clover)

Just found this:
http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/configuration/boot#Legacy

PBR would be for BIOS systems, that go through the EFI Clover trying to load a BIOS Windows.
LegacyBiosDefault would be for UEFI systems going through EFI Clover loading a BIOS Windows.

Sadly PBR, PBRtest (and LegacyBiosDefault) does not work for me. sigh.

Also made a folder structure in /EFI which is
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi

both solutions don't help

Is there a way to boot Windows 10 (non UEFI install) with the EFI boot loader (Clover)?
Or do i have to install Windows 10 through Clover so it will become a UEFI Windows.
(I'd rather not do that, then i loose the ability to boot Windows directly without Clover)

For what it's worth, you can convert a legacy Windows install to UEFI somehow (without reinstalling). I don't know how off the top of my head, but I know it's possible.

For what it's worth, you can convert a legacy Windows install to UEFI somehow (without reinstalling). I don't know how off the top of my head, but I know it's possible.

Yeah, only it will result that you can't boot the Windows drive directly anymore without clover or the OSX hdd, once converted.

Since the Windows 10 Install is only 2 months old, i am now thinking that i'll make a USB startup key where clover is on, and give both OSX and W10 the UEFI method. Meaning reinstall Windows 10, and moving Clover to a USB key.
Without the startup key, none will be bootable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back