Contribute
Register

Clover won't install to EFI partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Nobodynose,

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am running into this as well. The EFI/Clover folders got thrown into my macOS partition instead of the EFI partition.

My build boots fine into Clover when selecting the drive (SATA2) under legacy drive but would prefer it under UEFI so Clover is booted by default. Only Windows is seen under UEFI options in my boot menu.

I am running an HP 800 G1 with a single SSD for my dual booting. As I said, Windows 10 boots fine when I select it under UEFI and by choosing it inside Clover (when SATA2 is selected). Windows 10 is also the default boot since UEFI chooses it first instead of legacy drives.

I am able to mount my EFI partition Clover configurator and have copied my EFI/Clover folder into it but it still only boots to Clover when choosing the legacy boot option in my boot menu.

Any ideas to get a defaulted Clover (UEFI?) boot in my situation?

Thanks!

Edit: I change config.plist in my EFI partition to values different than my macOS partition and it is officially using the EFI partition now. Is there a way to remove Windows from the UEFI list and strictly use Clover? Attached image is my boot menu where SATA2 is my macOS SSD.

Attachments

• IMG_8487.jpg
    IMG_8487.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Clover does not have an ability to install on EFI. It is because the installer developers have full hands with something else.

To install on EFI, you install on root or better on any other disk or partition the installer can and then physically mount the EFI partition and move boot file and EFI folder there.

If you need to update Clover on EFI, remove boot file, EFI and EFI Backup folders from the drive which by faulty installer is able to install to and copy the boot file and EFI folder there. Run the update and then copy the boot file and EFI folder back to EFI partition.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 17.05.30.png

If because of weirdly buggy design of installer, it does not install anything on your chosen disk or partition but tosses them somewhere you don't know, choose a different partition or disk and let it do the sloppy work there.

Then copy EFI folder and boot file to EFI partition and clean up the mess created by the sloppy installer.

Don't worry, it does not do anything else but copies the EFI folder and boot file on the destination drive or partition. All the warnings and consent requirements are just for show.

If the EFI folder already exists there, it will merge the existing kexts with the new clover version and edit the folder structure inside if necessary which it does well.

Is there a way to remove Windows from the UEFI list and strictly use Clover?

Yes, you have to rename the bootmgfw.efi into bootmgfw-orig.efi in Microsoft\Boot

I change config.plist in my EFI partition to values different than my macOS partition

Sorry, I don't get it, what do you change to what?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back