Graphics
Quardo fx5800 (4gb) + Tesla c1060 (4gb)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
nguyenmac, Thanks for the great guide. I posted on here a few days ago; but unfortunately I had to put my Hack install to the side temporarily and get back to real work. ;)

I mentioned that I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UP7; and I have found little no examples of others using this board. I want clover because of UEFI; and Windows 8.1 is already installed for UEFI on my machine.

Here are more specifics for my setup:

Z77X-UP7: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4334

Realtek ALC898 with High Quality 110dB SNR HD audio

Dual LAN (Intel® Gigabit + Atheros Gigabit Ethernet controllers)

PCI Express Gen 3.0 support

4-way SLI™ and 4-way CrossFireX™ multi-GPU support (-main reason I went with this board . . .)

My components:

CPU: Core i7 3.5ghz 3770k Using Noctura NH-D14 Cooler which can easily O.C. to 4.8ghz

Memory: G-Skill Trident-X 32 GB (4x8GB)

DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Timing 10-12-12-31
Cas Latency 10
Voltage 1.65V

Graphics: Nvidia Quadro fx5800 4GB DDR3 (Running in PCIe 2 mode through DVI port.)

GPU Processor: Tesla c1060 4GB DDR3 (Identical to fx5800; without any display ports, runs in SLI mode)

My system installs Mavericks with no real issues using your pre-packaged clover setup to install from a Mavericks Install USB that I made with Diskmaker X (Using 2 separate USB's One for Clover/One with Mavericks Installer). Originally I had thought that Clover auto generated a config.plist; though the last time I used your most recent clover setup; it does not appear to have a config.plist. I did not figure that using the config files you had in the downloads was a good idea; since it appeared they were for laptops; not really intended for my Desktop hardware.

At this point; as long as I boot off the USB and choose *without cages, with injected kexts* it will boot. Though obviously this is not desirable for extended real world use.

If you could help me figure out what my config.plist settings should be; I would be grateful. I did manage to create a Patched DSDT using the PJALM Gigabyte repository found here: http://pjalm.info/repos/gigabyte/

-I previously had tried to use a modified DSDT; and could not confirm that it was actually fixing anything. Not sure if I copied it to wrong location or what.

I tried to upload the DSDT, but the file uploader complained that 42 kb exceeded the file size limit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-I wish there were an automated post-install tool for desktops like you have in your guide for Laptops . . .

Guide To Install Mavericks with Clover Bootloader

Hi mcolinp, You have to install necessary kexts to your system (FakeSMC, ethernet kexts,...) by using Kext Wizard, then you don't need to choose "without caches, with injected kexts"

I'm sorry if I have little help to your system because I never have to deal with a desktop configuration + nVidia card. However, you can even boot without config.plist, what problems do you have?

If you can, compress your original dsdt and post it here.

Thanks for your help. You can see my original DSDT (System DSDT which is saved as a dsl file because of errors). The DSDT File (DSDT.zip) is a Patched DSDT using the PJALM Gigabyte repository Patch for my Z77X-UP7.

Since I last posted, I have been digesting a lot of info from this: (Post #29)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/page-2#entry1939878

This is the most comprehensive explanation of the various options in the config file that I have seen yet. This is a huge help! You might consider putting a link to it in the original post for your guide. Really Post 29 is essential, but most following it to about #36 are pretty valuable too. It is quite a lot to try and get thru though . . .

So I am seeing in other posts that I need to create a directory with my Motherboard Model# for OEM and to use a patched DSDT. This seems still a little unclear to me, as well as the edits which need to be in the config.plist to make clover use that directory. -If you have any hints on this please share.

Thanks

-EDIT-> You asked what problems I have without a Config file: Not too many really. No working sound is the most notable. Ethernet seems to work; though I am not certain which of the two available ports I am using. It also has the sleep issues; but that is expected on a new install with no fine-tuning. The Video Card seems to work ok, and is recognized as a "Quadro 5800"; but it also says it has "0mb" which should say 4gb . . . There also is a Tesla card which should register in SLI (4gb) for a total of 8gb Video Ram.

This works as described by booting from your Clover Install USB; using no caes and injected kexts: no config file.

Attachments

• System DSDT.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSDT.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 101

Here you are:

- Copy config.plist to EFI/Clover/
- Copy DSDT.aml to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/
- Use Kext Wizard to install the kexts in Kexts folder, and you don't need to use "without caches, with kexts injected"

If it works fine, you can install Clover to your drive instead of booting from USB.

Attachments

• Gigabyte.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 176

So I found the Kext Wizard; though it does not seem to allow installation to the USB drive; only the System Drive. Maybe I am missing something.

I had simply dragged kexts to that folder, but I am unable to delete ones that should no longer be there. I used EFI Mounter.app to mount the EFI partition of the USB thumb drive. It seems to have some weird permissions; not letting me delete the kexts.

*Nevermind* It seems that having the USB EFI and the System Disk EFI mounted at the same time caused some kind of issue.
I think I will be able to test it out in a minute.

---So should I use the option to install to Extensions.mkext on desktop within Kext Wizard on the "Installation" Pane; since I cannot pick the directory in the USB EFI? Do I then Drag the resulting file(s) to the USB drive?

So I found the Kext Wizard; though it does not seem to allow installation to the USB drive; only the System Drive. Maybe I am missing something.

I had simply dragged kexts to that folder, but I am unable to delete ones that should no longer be there. I used EFI Mounter.app to mount the EFI partition of the USB thumb drive. It seems to have some weird permissions; not letting me delete the kexts.

*Nevermind* It seems that having the USB EFI and the System Disk EFI mounted at the same time caused some kind of issue.
I think I will be able to test it out in a minute.

You have to install kexts to your OS X partition, not USB (why do you want to install USB then?). And where are you dragging your kexts? Please read my post carefully.

You have to make sure that you copy files to your USB, not EFI partition on your drive. Everything have to be done carefully, cause it may break your Windows UEFI.

In addition, try the new config.plist:

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.2 KB · Views: 259

---So should I use the option to install to Extensions.mkext on desktop within Kext Wizard on the "Installation" Pane; since I cannot pick the directory in the USB EFI? Do I then Drag the resulting file(s) to the USB drive?

Use default option in Kext Wizard. What problem with that?

I typed up that last part before I read your previous reply. I did try installing the kexts to the system. It did not result in a bootable system. Since I was messing about and deleted all the kexts on the usb drive; I cannot even boot without caches and injected kexts, cause they are missing :(

I will have to switch my gfx card back to an old build so I can straighten it out.

In the past I always avoided installing or patching kexts into the apple system; as it would often result in unstable upgrades.

-one other note: when booting failed after installing the kexts; and with your latest config file; the verbose stopped at:

"-- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!"

Can you still boot by my original clover folder?

EDIT: Maybe the problem is in your graphic card. Try remove DSDT.aml in Clover usb, if it still can't boot, remove config.plist too. I want to know which file cause this.

I cannot use the USB as it is now; I will have to boot up an older Hack and restore the USB to the same files in your guide.

Give me a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back