Contribute
Register

Clover & Kexts "Best Practices" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure which HDA patch you're referring to. HDA injectors must be installed to /S/L/E always. They won't work from Clover/kexts.
In the past I've run both toleda's HDA patch and Voodoo from Clover/kext and they work fine. Additionally they survive updates...

In the past I've run both toleda's HDA patch and Voodoo from Clover/kext and they work fine. Additionally they survive updates...

They would survive updates no matter where they are placed (because the update would never overwrite them).

I haven't looked at toleda's solutions in detail. I use injectors that I make myself based on the ideas of PikerAlpha... They only work when they are in cache, and they only end up in the cache when they are installed to /S/L/E. It could be the difference between including an already patched AppleHDA and live-patching the native AppleHDA in /S/L/E.

They would survive updates no matter where they are placed (because the update would never overwrite them).

I haven't looked at toleda's solutions in detail. I use injectors that I make myself based on the ideas of PikerAlpha... They only work when they are in cache, and they only end up in the cache when they are installed to /S/L/E. It could be the difference between including an already patched AppleHDA and live-patching the native AppleHDA in /S/L/E.
You're a dev and certainly I'm not... But I can tell you that if I do a clean install and place VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler in Clover/kext, audio works fine without ever being installed to S/L/E. I've done this dozens of times, of course I can't explain why it works...

You're a dev and certainly I'm not... But I can tell you that if I do a clean install and place VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler in Clover/kext, audio works fine without ever being installed to S/L/E. I've done this dozens of times, of course I can't explain why it works...

VoodooHDA is not an injector. My comment was regarding HDA injector kexts.

Some of them you will have in both places. You need the essential kexts in Clover/kexts that you need to boot the Recovery partition.

I tend to be 'lazy' about updating the kexts on Clover/kexts. So in the case of a bad update of FakeSMC (or other kext), you can actually still use the Recovery partition (which will use the older injected FakeSMC) to fix it.

So you're keeping FakeSMC in both /L/E and CLOVER/kexts/Other? Will the one on your EFI partition cause problems, or will Clover simply not inject since it's already been loaded?

So you're keeping FakeSMC in both /L/E and CLOVER/kexts/Other? Will the one on your EFI partition cause problems, or will Clover simply not inject since it's already been loaded?
I would be interested in knowing that question - I have some kexts in SLE, in Clover 10.12 and in Clover Other directories - I am confused to where what should be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back