Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X99-UD4 F22
CPU
i7-5820k
Graphics
GTX 1070 Ti
Hi
Finally I managed to setup my x99-ud4, 5820k, 290x + AMD 7850 to install and boot Sierra (I will write a guide soon because it is really nightmare to do this install without iGPU)
Now the issue is that I want to disable a kext to be loaded by the system - just like clover can disable nVidia kexts to load
The case is that because AMD 7850 is controller by AMD7000Controller.kext and 290x is controlled by AMD8000Controller.kext one of them "fails" to load (into the console I see errors related to LINE_BUFFER or something like this).
Depending which one fails (and it is random during boot) one of the GPU fails to init and the display is powered by the other GPU. I wan't to somehow disable AMD8000Controller.kext (so my 290x is never initialized by the Sierra) to allow the AMD7000Controller.kext to always success to init my AMD 7850.
How this can be done with Clover? I tried to "patch" AMD8000Controller.kext with clover to remove the ID of the 290x from the list of supposed cards but I failed

Thanks

Isn't there a disable flag you can set when you run Clover Configurator and opened the correct config.plist?

Isn't there a disable flag you can set when you run Clover Configurator and opened the correct config.plist?

Hi Thanks for the input. Yep there is a "disable" checkbox but I thought that this disables the "patch kext rule" - not "loading of the entire kext. Are you sure that "disable" is for the whole kext?

Checked. "Disable" is for the actual change in kext - in fact if I only define the kext and check the "disabled" Clover Configurator does not store the change to the config.plist

Last edited:
Which Clover are you running? The Unibeast v3766 or the v3773? If you open up Clover Configurator you'll want to make sure that the Boot pane has the "Default Boot Volume" set to 'Sierra' and further down in the left pane when you select "Install Drivers" you'll want to change the "Target Partition" from "Null" to "EFI"; then exit, which should write the modified config.plist out to the EFI partition.

If you mount the EFI with EFI Mounter v3 you will notice that the kexts are nowhere to be found, certainly not in EFI/Clover/kexts. Well, I can't find them... hmmmm.

Can't you use Clover's ForceKextsToLoad to force both AMD7000Controller.kext and AMD8000Controller.kext to load?

Which Clover are you running? The Unibeast v3766 or the v3773? If you open up Clover Configurator you'll want to make sure that the Boot pane has the "Default Boot Volume" set to 'Sierra' and further down in the left pane when you select "Install Drivers" you'll want to change the "Target Partition" from "Null" to "EFI"; then exit, which should write the modified config.plist out to the EFI partition.

If you mount the EFI with EFI Mounter v3 you will notice that the kexts are nowhere to be found, certainly not in EFI/Clover/kexts. Well, I can't find them... hmmmm.

I use v 3773. I am sure that I modify the correct config.plist file because other changes are "fine". But unfortunately currently there is no way to "block" AMD8000Controller.kext from loading

Can't you use Clover's ForceKextsToLoad to force both AMD7000Controller.kext and AMD8000Controller.kext to load?

I was thinking about the same way - to force 7000 so I always load before 8000 and making 8000 to fail (this is my target - to block 8000 from loading - I want 290x to become "unavailable" for the system - I am happy with only AMD 7850 (the purpose of 290x is gaming in W10)

Unfortunately forcing 7000 to load does not solve the case - sometimes 8000 loads first and in this way 7000 fails to load

I presume that if you highlight the kext file that has the disable box enabled that if you then hit the "-" key that it will delete it.

I just tried it on the 'Increase Port Limit' kext and it deleted it fine. (For some reason my mouse disappeared and the system couldn't identify my Apple Aluminum keyboard. After I disabled and rebooted I didn't have the problem, so after a few hours I decided to just delete it now and will reboot.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back