Contribute
Register

Clover does not Dual Boot Windows 7 Legacy (2 disks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I can install OSX El Capitan fine (basic install - no tweaking yet) but I am having trouble dual booting windows 7 with Clover (2 disks)

Windows 7 was already installed Legacy (No UEFI enabled) on a stand alone Intel SSD (first disk) before attemping OSX.

I did Unibeast with Legacy installer and then a Legacy Clover post-installation on my Samsung SSD (2nd disk).

If I configure motherboard to boot UEFI from the OSX Samsung disk
- Clover shows Windows 7 is visible on 2 disks but Windows 7 will not boot on either
- OSX is visible on Clover but will not boot.

If I configure motherboard to boot Legacy from the Samsung OSX disk
- Clover does not show any windows disks
- Clover does show an OSX disk which will boot successfully.

If I configure motherboard to boot the Intel SSD Legacy (no UEFI option is present), it boots fine.

I have looked at a number of threads on this but all it does is confuse me!

I am running Z97X-UD5H motherboard and GTX760 (System 4 in my signature).

Post #7 in this thread explains how I got to boot both Windows 10 and further down, Windows 7 in UEFI mode on my machine:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/bios-uefi/174198-help-booting-windows-10-clover-uefi.html#7

I did require some files from a Windows 10 (or 8/8.1) system, but I now have both my Windows 10 and Windows 7 partitions booting from clover. No re-installation required and it does not affect the current Windows or Chimera boot loader.

I believe otherwise you need to create a Windows 7 installer on a USB stick and extract the EFI folder from it. You also then need to copy C:\Windows\boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy it to C:\EFI\boot\bootx64.efi.

Wait a second, you are booting UEFI but I did not install as UEFI on either OSX or Windows, so will this work?

Or are you saying that even though I installed in legacy mode I can boot the OSX disk UEFI mode and have it all work?

Its kind of confusing because when you look for a solution there is UEFI and Legacy and its not clear what is being mixed and matched.

Booting Intel SSD with legacy will work because it is booting from the MBR and into the Windows bootloader as it was originally set up to do.

Booting Clover via legacy works differently to booting via UEFI and uses a different set of drivers. Legacy uses EFI/CLOVER/drivers32 or EFI/CLOVER/drivers64. Booting Clover via UEFI uses drivers in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI. This may account for the different results although I'm not sure why you were not seeing any Windows drives.

I initially started with installing El Capitan using legacy boot mode as you did as it was the only way I could get it to boot and run the installer. Once OSX was installed, I was then able to set up the EFI partition but it tool quite a bit of experimentation with the Clover config.plist and the EFI partition before I was able to boot OSX using UEFI mode. It took a little effort but I eventually got there.

You have a point regarding my solution and booting in legacy mode. However, the legacy bit of Clover is what allows it to start from the MRB. Once Clover it booted it will then do a scan of your partitions and find anything it recognises including legacy and UEFI configured. It will then pass control to which ever one you choose to boot. I did a test using my legacy mode El Capitan installer USB stick. Clover was able to find and boot both of my UEFI configured Windows portions despite being booted in legacy mode.

Incidentally, do you have more than one FAT32 or NTFS partition on your Windows disk? I have two Windows bootable partitions (Win7 and Win 10) and an NTFS data partition. Clover 'sees' 3 Windows legacy mode disks and will not boot any of them. Maybe this is why you are seeing two Windows disks?
I eventually hid the legacy mode ones and now have only the UEFI mode disks showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back