Contribute
Register

Clover bootloader, update revision after MacOS update...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigybyte GA-270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
This is day 5 of not being able to understand what the hack is going on so I thought it was time to humbly plead for some help from the awesome hackintosh gods that graciously roam the forums with all their might.

So I don't even understand what the problem (besides from me being an idiot) is but I will try and explain it to my best.
I've finally come round to updating MacOS from High Sierra to Mojave (lazy idiot), but I made the dumb mistake of not checking if Clover had updated to a more recent revision (for some reason I thought updating the configurator would be enough). I managed to make a bootable Mojave USB, using Unibeast, and I am able to boot up the disk now. Here's what I don't get.
In Clover Configurator, it states that the current revision is the same as the USB drive, however when I try to boot directly from my systemdisk, it shows my previous revision (the one that gives me pink lines, a mouse on a black screen and a headache now lasting 5 sleepless days).
What I'm trying to understand is, did I successfully boot up from the USB, using only the kexts, plist and what not from the USB? My guess is no, because for example the plist on the usb drive contains no particulars regarding system information, serial etc.
If yes, can I 1) simply copy over the entire EFI map from the (EFI partition on the ) USB to the (EFI partition on the) systemdisk? Or 2) copy over the entire EFI map, then include the old Plist? I tried the first option on a CCC clone, didn't pan out (Kextd stall 01, X86PlatformPlugin, GFX0, CSR8510 A10, PXSX, IOJDACodecFunction, IO Resources)

What makes it even more cloudy for me is that in current revisions, the drivers map structure has changed, along with driver names. I"m hesitant to do anything to the EFI now.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm stuck (like, in the middle of a busy intersection not knowing where to go with everyone honking at me stuck). Any chance I could get some help?

Tl/dr: Successfully booted systemdisk (with old revision clover) via bootable USB (R5102) after bodging MacOS update from High Sierra to Mojave. Need help in understanding how to get rid of the USB drive and boot directly from systemdisk.

p.s., for extra giggles for the initiated, this whole episode of crying myself to sleep started with the simple task of importing every photo and video from my iPhone, which failed due to incompatible OS/hevc nonesense... so moral of the story, don't make any photo's or video's unless its on film (kiddin' course).

Not sure if I fully understand your situation. But I will say this.

If you can boot from your USB Drive (EFI) but run your OS from the internal drive of your computer. Yes then you can replace the EFI folder of your internal drive with the copy of the EFI folder from the USB Drive. Then you should be able to boot from your internal drive only.

Now having said that, the EFI folder on the USB Drive is probably pretty generic in its setup to just boot the system and go into typically the OS install process. So most likely you will have to tweek it afterwards. Best thing do to is back up these folders before you go and overwrite something.

Also the config.plist is what you configure to tell Clover which disk to boot with.

So once you copy over the EFI folder from the USB drive to the EFI partition of your internal drive. Open up the config.plist (EFI/Clover/config.plist) using Clover Configurator.app.

Go to this section, choose the name of your HD you want to boot from, save.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 9.33.02 PM.png

Also in your case I would set the Timeout (in this same section) to something longer, just in case something isn't correct, once your computer gets to the Clover boot selection you have time to choose a disk, or make some adjustment before it automatically starts to boot the computer into the OS.

P.S I believe you know this, I will just state for clarity. The EFI partition is a hidden partition where the EFI folder lives. Both the USB drive and the internal drive have this hidden partition. Clover Configuator makes it easy to mount this(these) hidden partition(s). Using the Tools/Mount EFI.

Good Luck!

If you can boot from your USB Drive (EFI) but run your OS from the internal drive of your computer. Yes then you can replace the EFI folder of your internal drive with the copy of the EFI folder from the USB Drive. Then you should be able to boot from your internal drive only.

Now having said that, the EFI folder on the USB Drive is probably pretty generic in its setup to just boot the system and go into typically the OS install process. So most likely you will have to tweek it afterwards. Best thing do to is back up these folders before you go and overwrite something.

Also the config.plist is what you configure to tell Clover which disk to boot with.

So once you copy over the EFI folder from the USB drive to the EFI partition of your internal drive. Open up the config.plist (EFI/Clover/config.plist) using Clover Configurator.app.

View attachment 522889
Also in your case I would set the Timeout (in this same section) to something longer, just in case something isn't correct, once your computer gets to the Clover boot selection you have time to choose a disk, or make some adjustment before it automatically starts to boot the computer into the OS.

P.S I believe you know this, I will just state for clarity. The EFI partition is a hidden partition where the EFI folder lives. Both the USB drive and the internal drive have this hidden partition. Clover Configuator makes it easy to mount this(these) hidden partition(s). Using the Tools/Mount EFI.

Good Luck!
Thank you for clarifying at least some of my cloudy thoughts, I'm gonna try what you have suggested. I do believe i'm having a case of going in to in too deeply and not being able to see the whole picture anymore. I'll keep you posted!

View attachment 522889

Good Luck!
Hi again, and btw thank you for replying.
So, i started doing the steps you've stated. Mounted the USB EFI partition, copied over the EFI folder (plus hidden folders) to a secure place, unmounted the USB partition. Then mounted the Internal drive's EFI partition, deleted the EFI folder (plus hidden folders), copied over the USB EFI folder(s).

From here I opened the config file, went over boot, it states that my default Boot Volume is called MacHDD. Besides the name being silly (it's an SDD), the name for the drive should be Caruso Music, an option it does not show. Under SMBios, only product name is stated: iMac 14,2 (which previously was 17,1) so i dont know what that's about.

I feel sorry for asking, but could you continue lending a hand?

Hi again, and btw thank you for replying.
So, i started doing the steps you've stated. Mounted the USB EFI partition, copied over the EFI folder (plus hidden folders) to a secure place, unmounted the USB partition. Then mounted the Internal drive's EFI partition, deleted the EFI folder (plus hidden folders), copied over the USB EFI folder(s).

From here I opened the config file, went over boot, it states that my default Boot Volume is called MacHDD. Besides the name being silly (it's an SDD), the name for the drive should be Caruso Music, an option it does not show. Under SMBios, only product name is stated: iMac 14,2 (which previously was 17,1) so i dont know what that's about.

I feel sorry for asking, but could you continue lending a hand?
Sure no problem

The extra folders you might be seeing in the EFI partition of the HD might be from Apple updates. I find these folder scattered around my various EFI partitions, for whatever reason the OS just picks a place to store them. You don't need to worry about them or make copies of them.

I am not sure what you mean about the different drives on your computer. As long as it is attached it should show up in Disk Utility, then it should be avaiable in CloverConfig. Hopefully you are not mixing up the name of your computer with the HD name?? Possible driver issue. I have posted what I have in my setup below.

Here is what I have for my SMBIOS settings. I have a older intel series 4 Haswell. The current recommended model, from the hack community, is what I have here iMac15,1. You can try this or something which is closer to your hardware, like the 18.3. Choose a model using the button bottom right, should fill in all the options for you.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 11.41.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 11.52.53 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back