Register

Clover boot stops working once custom SSDT is dropped in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, was hoping someone could help me… I currently have a (pretty much) working setup using Clover v. 1974. Before upgrading the machine to Mavericks though, I wanted to make sure I was using the latest of everything; the central component being Clover. Problem is, that even after "translating" the config to the new syntax of newer Clover versions, I can't get the system to boot. It works as long as I use my native SSDT tables, but once I drop in an ssdtPRGen-generated file, or let Clover generate C- and P-states, the OS won't start. I've gathered as much information as I can, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about hardware to figure out where things go wrong, so I could really use some pointers as to what I should try next.

My current setup:
  • Asus P8Z77-M Pro
  • Intel i5-3570k (slightly overclocked using Asus' auto-tuning utility, chugging along perfectly ever since I built the machine)
  • NVIDIA GTX780
  • BIOS patched using DPCIManager
  • Fresh DSDT patched with PJALM's patches using MacIASL
  • SSDT generated by ssdtPRGen (using the target clock of 4200 to match my overclock)
  • Clover 1974
  • SMBios settings for MacBookPro10,1
  • OS X 10.8.4
All this works perfectly, aside for some shutdown/sleep issues with the motherboard. But most importantly, speed stepping is without issues, all the way up to 4.2 GHz.

Now, when I use a new version of Clover, it all kind of breaks down. Using the exact same DSDT and SSDT files, OS X gets stuck in the boot process. I'm not getting any explicit error messages, and it all looks fine when booting in verbose mode – it just kind of stops. So my guess is the window server can't be launched for some reason…? The behavior is exactly the same whether I'm booting the current 10.8.4 install, or the Mavericks installer.

This is what works/doesn't work, using Clover 2428:
  • Works: Boot using only DSDT, either dropping or not dropping any native SSDT tables
  • Works: Save the native tables as files, put those in the ACPI/patched folder for clover, and boot using those
  • Doesn't work: Boot using DSDT and ssdtPRGen-generated SSDT file, either dropping or not dropping any native SSDT tables
  • Doesn't work: Boot using DSDT and have Clover generate C and P States

So basically, everything works, until C and P states are specified manually somehow. Does anyone know what might be wrong here? Seems so weird to me that it should stop working with a newer version of Clover… I'm attaching some files that may or may not be of use (DSDT/SSDT files, ssdtPRGen output, Clover config, IOJones files for old/new setup, etc). Please let me know if there is any other information that might be useful.

Attachments

• clover-help.zip
    708.8 KB · Views: 123
You can try this very basic config, it boots fine on my P8Z77-M Pro.

Try it without DSDT or SSDT.

View attachment 78696

Clover r2394
Thanks. Same issue for me though :( If I don't drop OEM tables, and let Clover generate C/P States, it boots (but with incorrect speedstepping). But, as soon as I add the ssdtPRGen-generated SSDT.aml file, it refuses to boot.

I'm running Mavericks with only a Clover-generated SSDT for now. I've tried with a different sysdef (Macmini6,2 instead of MacBookPro10,1), but the result is the same. I'm attaching a syslog dump from a failed boot – I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject :)

Attachments

• system.log
    17.5 KB · Views: 201
I have the same problem. Here, with custom SSDT it works only SMBIOS 12,1...

Any solutions for this yet? I've been going around in circles, restoring from Time Machine in order to be able to boot again after adding the ssdt.aml to the patched folder in Clover. I didn't realize what was causing my Hack to stop booting (can't boot with any boot flags), then came across your post and realized I'm having the same issue!

Any solutions for this yet?
Sure there is, don't put an SSDT in the patched folder... Obviously there's something wrong with your ssdt or config.plist. The best smbios for Z77 has been ManMini6,2.

Hi, was hoping someone could help me… I currently have a (pretty much) working setup using Clover v. 1974. Before upgrading the machine to Mavericks though, I wanted to make sure I was using the latest of everything; the central component being Clover. Problem is, that even after "translating" the config to the new syntax of newer Clover versions, I can't get the system to boot. It works as long as I use my native SSDT tables, but once I drop in an ssdtPRGen-generated file, or let Clover generate C- and P-states, the OS won't start. I've gathered as much information as I can, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about hardware to figure out where things go wrong, so I could really use some pointers as to what I should try next.

My current setup:
  • Asus P8Z77-M Pro
  • Intel i5-3570k (slightly overclocked using Asus' auto-tuning utility, chugging along perfectly ever since I built the machine)
  • NVIDIA GTX780
  • BIOS patched using DPCIManager
  • Fresh DSDT patched with PJALM's patches using MacIASL
  • SSDT generated by ssdtPRGen (using the target clock of 4200 to match my overclock)
  • Clover 1974
  • SMBios settings for MacBookPro10,1
  • OS X 10.8.4
All this works perfectly, aside for some shutdown/sleep issues with the motherboard. But most importantly, speed stepping is without issues, all the way up to 4.2 GHz.

Now, when I use a new version of Clover, it all kind of breaks down. Using the exact same DSDT and SSDT files, OS X gets stuck in the boot process. I'm not getting any explicit error messages, and it all looks fine when booting in verbose mode – it just kind of stops. So my guess is the window server can't be launched for some reason…? The behavior is exactly the same whether I'm booting the current 10.8.4 install, or the Mavericks installer.

This is what works/doesn't work, using Clover 2428:
  • Works: Boot using only DSDT, either dropping or not dropping any native SSDT tables
  • Works: Save the native tables as files, put those in the ACPI/patched folder for clover, and boot using those
  • Doesn't work: Boot using DSDT and ssdtPRGen-generated SSDT file, either dropping or not dropping any native SSDT tables
  • Doesn't work: Boot using DSDT and have Clover generate C and P States

So basically, everything works, until C and P states are specified manually somehow. Does anyone know what might be wrong here? Seems so weird to me that it should stop working with a newer version of Clover… I'm attaching some files that may or may not be of use (DSDT/SSDT files, ssdtPRGen output, Clover config, IOJones files for old/new setup, etc). Please let me know if there is any other information that might be useful.

I had the same problem. I figured out I was copying "ssdt.aml" inside "~/Library/ssdtPRGen/" and not "SSDT.aml" (inside ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ACPI). After I replaced the file with "SSDT.aml" (inside ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ACPI) and turn on DropOEM on CLover/ACPI (Interface) everything works. I had different states before that (about 10) and now I could count at least 25 different states and my processor runs in really low frequencies when system is idle. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back