nvidea
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm having a problem which is driving me nuts:

I have built a dual-boot Hackintosh / Windows 10 system with the OS's installed on two separate SSD's and Clover (EFI) to let me choose which OS to boot.
This worked perfectly for several months.

Yesterday I activated Bitlocker on the Windows 10 SSD. This is when things stopped working ;)

Clover still loads and let me choose between OS's, but when I pick Windows 10 I just get a blank blue screen and nothing happens after that... Going into Mac OS (El Capitan) still works.
I can still go into Windows 10 when I override the boot options in UEFI.

Is this a known issue? Can Clover not work if the Windows 10 disk is using bitlocker? I don't understand why this wouldn't work (in particular since a boot order override does work). Fyi, I have installed a TPM chip in the motherboard so I don't need to enter passwords or anything when booting into Windows.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Try one of the other icons to boot Win10 - IIRC the bitlocker files are in the MSR partition. Your boot files are in the EFI partition.

Thanks, but the other icons don't work either (andnever did).

For Windows 10, Clover is loading bootmgfw.efi, see below for part of my config.plist.
Is this correct ? (as I said this always worked before, ie when Bitlocker wasn't enabled).

----------------

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0</string>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DefaultLoader</key>
<string>bootmgfw.efi</string>
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>EFI</string>
<key>Legacy</key>
<string>PBR</string>
<key>Secure</key>
<false/>
<key>Timeout</key>
<integer>7</integer>
<key>XMPDetection</key>
<false/>

Never having tried this, it is hard to say if you can do it or not. I do not know enough about how Clover goes about launching Windows from the boot screen icons. You might go to the Clover Wiki site and pose the question there. You might probably wind up using BIOS Function hotkey to boot Windows instead of Clover.
Do you really need to encrypt the entire drive and operating system or just have an encrypted volume for safe file storage?

Thanks for your answer. I looked at the Clover Wiki but there's no forum on it...

To answer your question : I only need to encrypt a separate drive for safe file storage, but the way Bitlocker works is that you have to encrypt the system drive as well if you don't want to enter a PIN every time (the system drive needs no PIN if you have a TPM module installed).

I still hope there's some easy way to make this work! ;)

Thanks for your answer. I looked at the Clover Wiki but there's no forum on it...

To answer your question : I only need to encrypt a separate drive for safe file storage, but the way Bitlocker works is that you have to encrypt the system drive as well if you don't want to enter a PIN every time (the system drive needs no PIN if you have a TPM module installed).

I still hope there's some easy way to make this work! ;)
Good luck with it. You might be better off using a hot swap tray and get you some drive storage boxes like I did.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00856XFUS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ9L3P4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OXK0YM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

expensive, but worth every penny IMHO when you boot multiple OSs. You never have an OS drive in the build except the one you are currently booting. No possible way for one OS to corrupt the drive for another OS..

Thanks Going Bald. Very interesting product this swap tray! Not sure it's ideal for my situation though since I switch between OS's quite often.

I'm still hoping to come up with a software solution to this problem...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back