Contribute
Register

Closed / New thread created Random Freezes / YELLOW screen of death after upgrade to RX 580.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming
CPU
i9 10850K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My Hack ran ok with an RX 560, but since installing an RX 580 (Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB) I'm experiencing sporadic screen-freeze.

I'm pretty sure it's always happened when I'm in Chrome and only when I'm in Chrome.

When it happens the mouse still works. Occasionally my Hack jumps back to the login screen, sometimes I have to hard-reset. One time I got a lovely yellow screen for about 30 seconds before jumping back to the login screen.

I tried removing Chrome, reinstalling Chrome. I also noticed that I was getting ghosting so in the end I did completely fresh install. Overall the machine runs better, but still I'm experiencing very occasional freezes.

I've got the latest FakeSMC, Lilu, Whatevergreen, and Apple ALC kexts in kexts->Other folder. I have RadeonDeInit unchecked.

My SMBIOS is 18,3, which I've used since moving to High Sierra.

I have noticed that my 5G connection is not working so I have to use 2G. I installed IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0 (Before carrying out a full reinstall I think I was on 2.3, but still the screen froze when I changed to RX 580.

Any ideas where I should look next to fix this? Is there a better Ethernet Driver for my build (Gigabyte Z370M-D3H).

Short update. I removed Lilu and Whatevergreen, kept RadeonDeInit unchecked.
Watched YouTube videos for an hour last night with no freezes. Will monitor over next few days.

I got the yellow screen again. It froze, audio still worked in the background. Returned to login page after about a minute. Not sure why this is happening.

I've had a look in Console and I can see a number of Kernel Panics suffixed 'gpuRestart'

Also some WindowServer Crash reports. I have no idea how to interpret them though.

Thread closed - see my new thread. The card is reported to be a 480 in the OSX system report / GPU restart information.

Damn, I'm getting tons of GPURestarts yet I have my card reporting correctly as a RX580, so I guess it's not the same issue?

No sorry, mine is definitely a 480. Replacement arrives tomorrow.

Good luck getting your issue sorted...and I’m hopeful I don’t discover that I still have issues with the new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back