Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have read many threads on this topic and none that seem to answer my query.

I have a Dell 9343 with perfectly working install of el capitan. It's a 128gb ssd and I want to upgrade to a 500gb ssd. I don't have a compatible eternal enclosure to do it direct from drive to drive, so I'll need to backup up to another usb, then swap out the SSD and then restore from the backup. I have a working bootable Windows 10 usb that I could use to do the restore.

Is there a way that I can do this and ensure that the new drive will be bootable?

Thx

I have read many threads on this topic and none that seem to answer my query.

I have a Dell 9343 with perfectly working install of el capitan. It's a 128gb ssd and I want to upgrade to a 500gb ssd. I don't have a compatible eternal enclosure to do it direct from drive to drive, so I'll need to backup up to another usb, then swap out the SSD and then restore from the backup. I have a working bootable Windows 10 usb that I could use to do the restore.

Is there a way that I can do this and ensure that the new drive will be bootable?

Thx

Windows has no native support to backup/restore HFS+ partitions. Use Disk Utility in OS X (OS X installer).

You can make your system bootable, simply by copying the EFI folder from the old SSD to the new SSD.

Windows has no native support to backup/restore HFS+ partitions. Use Disk Utility in OS X (OS X installer).

You can make your system bootable, simply by copying the EFI folder from the old SSD to the new SSD.

Thank you for the advice, again.

I booted from my OS X installer and launched disk utility from the installer. I plugged in an external hdd and created a blank image on the external hdd to use to clone the internal ssd. The laptop went to sleep and I had to reboot. The problem now, is that I cannot get beyond the dell splash screen. Neither the internal ssd or the installer USB drive will boot.

I tried changing sequences in the bios and unplugging the usb. I've gone from a stable setup to one that does not even boot now! please help!

I use acronis true image 2014hd which was included to my crucial mx100 ssd drive
I backuped all my partition, included efi.
I have never had any probs with restore any of partition, even to clean drive (I have two ssds in my xps 9530)
I made partition fat32 on one ssd and copied there bootable pendrive with acronis files, so I don't have to use attached pen drive restore any backed up partition.
Restore el capitan or windows 10 from one ssd to another takes ca 6-7 min

I use acronis true image 2014hd which was included to my crucial mx100 ssd drive
I backuped all my partition, included efi.
I have never had any probs with restore any of partition, even to clean drive (I have two ssds in my xps 9530)
I made partition fat32 on one ssd and copied there bootable pendrive with acronis files, so I don't have to use attached pen drive restore any backed up partition.
Restore el capitan or windows 10 from one ssd to another takes ca 6-7 min

My problem is that my machine has just one ssd slot, so I need to image it first, swap the ssds and then restore to the new ssd.

Anyhow, my issue now is that neither the existing ssd or my clover usb drive will boot. I can run Windows off a sub using legacy boot, no problem.

I'm thinking it must be a bios problem, but I can't see any settings that look different.

My problem is that my machine has just one ssd slot, so I need to image it first, swap the ssds and then restore to the new ssd.

Anyhow, my issue now is that neither the existing ssd or my clover usb drive will boot. I can run Windows off a sub using legacy boot, no problem.

I'm thinking it must be a bios problem, but I can't see any settings that look different.

See guide for creating USB: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Make sure you follow it carefully.

Thats not the issue at the moment.

I have a working installer taller that I used to boot with to do the backup, but now the laptop will not boot from that very installer. It won't even boot from the internal ssd with the working clover install. I didn't change anything on either disk and now neither one will boot.

Thats not the issue at the moment.

I have a working installer taller that I used to boot with to do the backup, but now the laptop will not boot from that very installer. It won't even boot from the internal ssd with the working clover install. I didn't change anything on either disk and now neither one will boot.

Repair your disk from Disk Utility in the OS X installer.

If your system is permanently damaged, you may have to do a "freshen install" (install without erasing), or even a fresh install (install with erasing).

Repair your disk from Disk Utility in the OS X installer.

If your system is permanently damaged, you may have to do a "freshen install" (install without erasing), or even a fresh install (install with erasing).

I can't even boot the installer. Clover does not load. Stuck at Dell post screen.

I can't even boot the installer. Clover does not load. Stuck at Dell post screen.

Reset BIOS. If you can't get to BIOS, do EC reset. If still can't get to BIOS, do CMOS reset (remove CSMOS battery from motherboard). Also, remove all SSD/HDD devices.

Otherwise contact Dell support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back