EVGA 650 Ti Boost
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I currently have a Kingston 128GB SSD as my boot drive for windows and I made two partitions on my WD Blue 1TB drive. I'm using 540GB for my storage in windows and 390GB for my mavericks.
I purchased a 1.5TB hard drive recently and it's just empty and I want to separate my mavericks install to a different hard drive.
Is there a way to clone just my mavericks partition to another hard drive? (any recommendations on free cloning software?)
If so, would it work without any problems?
Or would you just recommend doing a fresh install of Yosemite on that new hard drive?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi,
I currently have a Kingston 128GB SSD as my boot drive for windows and I made two partitions on my WD Blue 1TB drive. I'm using 540GB for my storage in windows and 390GB for my mavericks.
I purchased a 1.5TB hard drive recently and it's just empty and I want to separate my mavericks install to a different hard drive.
Is there a way to clone just my mavericks partition to another hard drive? (any recommendations on free cloning software?)
If so, would it work without any problems?
Or would you just recommend doing a fresh install of Yosemite on that new hard drive?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Yes you can use shareware SuperDuper! to clone your Mavericks partition to the new drive. You need to use Disk Utility app to partition and format the new drive. Then you need to make the new drive boot able. It is probably a 4K sector size drive and will need attention to make it boot able. Read and follow this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/65706-boot0-error-official-guide.html

And if you are going to upgrade to Yosemite, you could just follow the installation guide(s) and install Yosemite instead of the clone. Then you could use the Migration app to move your data and apps to the new Yosemite installation.

Good modding,
neil

note: Superduper by Shirtpocket Software is the app that I use all of the time. There are others that are just as good such as Carbon Copy Cloner... and you can acutally use Disk Utility to clone the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back