Contribute
Register

Cloning fresh High Sierra installed via a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC MATE
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi I just came to an Apple Store to get a clean install of macOS High Sierra due to my home internet being too slow to download it (and my Mac Mini and Hackintosh also failed to download the full installer at that too, would only do the 20mb one).

I was hoping the person I went to in Apple would download the installer app for me instead of do a clean install on my usb HDD as I'll still need to grab a installer app myself if reinstall is needed. But oh well, I guess I can do with a clean install with things, especially with the Apfs Apple's done for the SSDs. Though How exactly does that work cloning over the already installed system as HFS+ on a HDD to SSD? The store workers in Apple say that it should convert over once I boot that HFS+ install on an SSD?

If I already have Clover setup with the needed kexts (uefi) on a usb, will I just be able to boot from that install that was done from a Macbook, via the Clover usb, and then run Multibeast and everything needed from there etc?

I am assuming I would do because the main thing Unibeast is doing is making the installer workable, not the installed system as such?

I will be cloning it on my i7 4790K PC with an RX480 and an SSD, as well as a Dell Inspirion 13 5378 (once the WiFi card arrives) which has an SSD, as well as of course my Mac Mini which is Apple so no non Apple procedures there lol.

Will be great to have this cleared up. I understand that a well used macOS install, it's best to start from scratch, but a clean install via an actual mac, I assume that's not much different than installing it with the PC/Laptop via the Unibeast setup clover booted installer?

Thanks Jase.

Thanks for that link. That'll be useful to keep in mind, though still not useful right now when my internet won't download anything that size due to how slow it is. So cloning that clean install on my usb drive and setting that up from there is what I need to know about. I'm aware of cloning, though it's booting the install via clover when it was installed using a mac, if that's a problem or can I just go about it booting up via clover and setting everything up using multibeast from there?

Last edited:
Turned out to all work perfectly using that new install from the macbook air. Just get Clover gonfigured, use safemode if needed and then do things from there, which I did after cloning so I keep that original install clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back