Sapphire HD6850, 1GB, DDR5
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
i would like to make another hackintosh...
i was thinking of cloning the entire harddisk and place it in the new system.
will it work?

i do need to install some boot loader right?

anyone can advice me on how? i totally forgotten how i even install the hackintosh..

oh yes, im using snow leopard, 10.6.8

thanks!
: )

swivel_001 said:
Hi,
will it work?

anyone can advice me on how? i totally forgotten how i even install the hackintosh..

thanks!

Use Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich. Several ways, either through making an exact copy or using an image of your source.
You can use MultiBeast to install Chimera to the new hard disk if you use disk image.

CCC is a great tool for making backups / clones etc. There are other programs that do the trick as well. Don't forget to donate.

thanks ypz801 for the prompt response!

so i would say...

Step 1: clone the harddisk...

and step 2: to install MultiBeast to install Chimera ??

how do i go about in step 2?

thanks

ypz801 said:
swivel_001 said:
Hi,
will it work?

thanks!

Use Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich. Several ways, either through making an exact copy or using an image of your source.
You can use MultiBeast to install Chimera to the new hard disk if you use disk image.

CCC is a great tool for making backups / clones etc. There are other programs that do the trick as well. Don't forget to donate.

swivel_001 said:

so i would say...

thanks

After the successful clone, just run the Chimera installer (available from the download section) and point it to the location of the clone.

hi Jamesbond007,

Thanks!
so i have to run Chimera installer on the new system right?

but right after cloning, the system will boot as per normal right?
do i need iboot?

Thanks

Jamesbond007 said:
swivel_001 said:

so i would say...

thanks

After the successful clone, just run the Chimera installer (available from the download section) and point it to the location of the clone.

swivel_001 said:
hi Jamesbond007,

Thanks!

do i need iboot?

Thanks

Right after cloning the new system will not boot by itself if you do not install Chimera on it.

hi Jamesbond007,

okay... so after i clone the harddisk, i will install on the new system.
afterwhich i will boot up the new system...

if it doesn't boot, how should i go about installing it?
do i need to use the iboot cd?

Jamesbond007 said:
swivel_001 said:
hi Jamesbond007,

Thanks!

do i need iboot?

Thanks

Right after cloning the new system will not boot by itself if you do not install Chimera on it.

OK, not sure what the differences between the working system which you want to clone the hard drive of and the new system are...

SO-

1) Clone the HD to the new HD.
2) Throw away the EXTRA folder on the new HD. That's because the special files from Multibeast for your old machine might not be optimized for your new one.
3) Made sure the BIOS settings on the new computer are what they should be for loading OSX. Upgrade your bios to the latest version on the new board.
4) Get the DSDT ready for the NEW motherboard. Make iBoot and rBoot disks.
5) Install the cloned HD in the new system. Boot with iBoot or rBoot if you must. Run Multibeast.
6) Boot into Bios. Change boot prefs from boot from CD Rom to boot from HD.
7) Boot from your new cloned HD, which should now have the correct bootloader and DSDT, if all goes well.

I will say that the only way I could get a Z68A motherboard to run OSX was to clone the system from a Z68XP, where everything but the Mobo were IDENTICAL. Hmmmm. System ran with the Z68XP DSDT, but works better with latest BIOS and correct DSDT.

hi Catahula,

basically, i'll be making a system with the same motherboard and CPU...
does it make cloning easier?

Catahula said:
OK, not sure what the differences between the working system which you want to clone the hard drive of and the new system are...

SO-

1) Clone the HD to the new HD.
2) Throw away the EXTRA folder on the new HD. That's because the special files from Multibeast for your old machine might not be optimized for your new one.
3) Made sure the BIOS settings on the new computer are what they should be for loading OSX. Upgrade your bios to the latest version on the new board.
4) Get the DSDT ready for the NEW motherboard. Make iBoot and rBoot disks.
5) Install the cloned HD in the new system. Boot with iBoot or rBoot if you must. Run Multibeast.
6) Boot into Bios. Change boot prefs from boot from CD Rom to boot from HD.
7) Boot from your new cloned HD, which should now have the correct bootloader and DSDT, if all goes well.

I will say that the only way I could get a Z68A motherboard to run OSX was to clone the system from a Z68XP, where everything but the Mobo were IDENTICAL. Hmmmm. System ran with the Z68XP DSDT, but works better with latest BIOS and correct DSDT.

Same mobo and CPU AND Graphics Card? Then yes, absolutely. IF the board BIOS is exactly the same, Just set the BIOS, put the cloned HD in and go. If the card is different (but compatible), then run the latest Multibeast with the new system, and you should be good. IF the board bios is older than the original board, better upgrade to the same or the latest bios, run multibeast, and you should be good. Regardless, it will still be faster to run the clone than it would be to start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back