Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I started off my system build with a 1TB SSD with OS X, Windows 10 and Linux 16.04. I have separated out and did a fresh install on Sierra to a separate 250GB SSD and I have Linux installed now on another SSD. I would like to try and clone Windows off to a separate SSD.
My question is will this work or do I have to do a fresh install to make sure it is UEFI for EFI boot in clover boot screen?
I'm trying to avoid all the updating and reloading everything back into Windows.

I started off my system build with a 1TB SSD with OS X, Windows 10 and Linux 16.04. I have separated out and did a fresh install on Sierra to a separate 250GB SSD and I have Linux installed now on another SSD. I would like to try and clone Windows off to a separate SSD.
My question is will this work or do I have to do a fresh install to make sure it is UEFI for EFI boot in clover boot screen?
I'm trying to avoid all the updating and reloading everything back into Windows.
Buy a kit and transfer your existing Windows install to SSD - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PU8T44/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
It works well - it is what I used to go from 300GB WD Velociraptor to Samsung SSD.

So I already have a spare USB enclosure for the new SSD to clone that portion of the SSD drive that holds Windows.
And I already have Macrium Reflect cloning software so I should be good to go with that?
If it is the equivalent of what is in the kit, then it will probably work for you. One thing you will want to do after you clone is to go into the Windows setup and disable the automatic clean and defrag settings - they are not good for SSDs and are not needed anyway.

If it is the equivalent of what is in the kit, then it will probably work for you. One thing you will want to do after you clone is to go into the Windows setup and disable the automatic clean and defrag settings - they are not good for SSDs and are not needed anyway.
Great thanks,
One more question. Do I need to format as an OS X drive with Extended Journal and Guid partition so it gets the boot partition?

Great thanks,
One more question. Do I need to format as an OS X drive with Extended Journal and Guid partition so it gets the boot partition?
You could use Gparted or Diskpart or your favorite disk management app to clean the drive and convert it to GPT.
Other than that, the clone process will replicate your HDD to the SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back