Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 F5
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook
Hi guys,
I have tried to clone my "Lion" HDD to a Samsung 860 EVO SSD ("No Name"). But it does not boot after the the cloning process.

First I have setup the SSD like this:
Open Disk Utility
6. Highlight your target hard drive for the Lion installation in left column.
7. Click Partition tab
8. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
9. Click Options...
10. Choose GUID Partition Method
11. Under Name: type (in my case) "1TB" (You can rename it later)
12. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
13. Click Apply then Partition

14. Close Disk Utility

After that I have run the USB drive with Lion Installation on it, to enter Disk Utility to use there the "Recovery-Option" for cloning the HDD to the SSD.
--> Started the process between "Lion" (HDD) and "1TB" SSD.
--> The Recovery-Option got successfully completed, which renamed the SSD automatically to "Lion".

But still the SSD does not boot Lion (10.7.1).

I do not understand what I am missing here. I would assume that STEP 4: Post-Installation Using MultiBeast of the initial installation process (https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/unibeast-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html) should not be necessary now, because everything is already moved from the HDD to the SSD.

Also I tried the process with CarbonCopyCloner. And had no success to get the SSD bootable.

Do you have an idea, what's missing here?

NOTE: I don't want to overwrite/loose the licenses of 3rd party applications which are running on the Lion HDD/SSD.

Best regard,
Math

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I have tried to clone my "Lion" HDD to a Samsung 860 EVO SSD ("No Name"). But it does not boot after the the cloning process.

First I have setup the SSD like this:
Open Disk Utility
6. Highlight your target hard drive for the Lion installation in left column.
7. Click Partition tab
8. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
9. Click Options...
10. Choose GUID Partition Method
11. Under Name: type (in my case) "1TB" (You can rename it later)
12. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
13. Click Apply then Partition

14. Close Disk Utility

After that I have run the USB drive with Lion Installation on it, to enter Disk Utility to use there the "Recovery-Option" for cloning the HDD to the SSD.
--> Started the process between "Lion" (HDD) and "1TB" SSD.
--> The Recovery-Option got successfully completed, which renamed the SSD automatically to "Lion".

But still the SSD does not boot Lion (10.7.1).

I do not understand what I am missing here. I would assume that STEP 4: Post-Installation Using MultiBeast of the initial installation process (https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/unibeast-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html) should not be necessary now, because everything is already moved from the HDD to the SSD.

Also I tried the process with CarbonCopyCloner. And had no success to get the SSD bootable.

Do you have an idea, what's missing here?

NOTE: I don't want to overwrite/loose the licenses of 3rd party applications which are running on the Lion HDD/SSD.

Best regard,
Math
you may need to manually copy over your EFI

you may need to manually copy over your EFI
Okay, I have done what. But it does not solve the issue.
If I start the system via the USB drive, choose there instead of "USB" the "Lion_SSD", it will enter Lion on the SSD.
Audio and everything is working as expected. So only the Bootloader "MultiBeast" is somehow missing.

Okay, I have done what. But it does not solve the issue.
If I start the system via the USB drive, choose there instead of "USB" the "Lion_SSD", it will enter Lion.
should just need to copy your working EFI over to your main drive

Back