Contribute
Register

Clone complete original HP 4530s HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...SELLS... not something I can afford to do or need to do ..as I said earlier this is as much for my own learning as anything else else..

As long as you're having fun...

program to create them only works if you have a disk that boots..which I now do not and as previously noted..not something I even knew existed..I do not remember that being an option when I last bought a new Windows machine...2003..it came with a set of CD's .end of story

Yes, creating recovery media is something generally done before you need it.

In the "price war" that is the PC industry, it is simply too expensive to include recovery media with the machine, thus the transition to DIY. This is what happens when consumers shop only on price and nothing else.

No idea..as yet..this happened once before when first building the hacinstosh, been fine ever since. Going to leave it overnight for the caps to discharge ..tried the 30-40 second power trick a couple of times and no go..
if it does not fire up in morning on AC adapter.,it is probably going in the bin..just can't be bothered...pull the RAM and the SSD and trash it..along with the Toshiba and the other old MacBook Pro (07)

Holding the power button should drain the caps. Could be a different hardware problem. You might refer to the service manual (you can download it from HP.com).

As long as you're having fun...
Not so much fun...but getting to know Win7..only had Win2k and XP experience.

Yes, creating recovery media is something generally done before you need it.

That is what I was doing..but not knowing about the Create recovery disk options on a running system, I was just trying to clone the original HDD. Was going to clone to the previously mentioned laptop 80gb and also to a full size 20gb ..or similar. have a pile of 20 or more 6-20 GB disks from old machines .

In the "price war" that is the PC industry, it is simply too expensive to include recovery media with the machine, thus the transition to DIY. This is what happens when consumers shop only on price and nothing else.

Would not have thought cost being a major factor..I mean what does a couple of bundled CD's cost 5 cents per machine? but yes...over the whole company production of many 000's of machines it is a saving..Plus more environmentally friendly, I wonder what percentage of included system disks ever actually got used anyway. Most consumers would not even know what to do with them and they just stick them back in the box with all the waste paper they also send with the machine; multipage licence agreements, in 30 different languages etc

Holding the power button should drain the caps. Could be a different hardware problem. You might refer to the service manual (you can download it from HP.com).

Ooops...I had the Orange flashing not power on issue when I first got this machine..so assumed it had re appeared..much simpler..I had goofed... power cord had come out of the power adapter and battery had gone flat..Noticed that this morning after a good nights sleep, and anger levels had returned to normal. I had just assumed the worst and totally overlooked the obvious.

So maybe the 80gb was actually OK..and format stopped because of low battery...running Drive genius full r/w surface scan on it to see. it formatted to Mac Journaled ok

Tried doing a fresh install of Win Xp from original MS disks..but no go..looks like a SATA driver issue according to the error code from the BSOD.

Got over that, with BIOS setting changes for SATA drives, so now no BSOD, but the 'Starting XP screen' sits there hung up for ..well at least 2 hours..till I shut it down.

It was weird how the BIOS of the 4530s works...it had somehow obtained my Username and password from the Win 7 installation..and also a user name Neil-TOSH and my password, from the Toshiba laptop I have here..something about Domain passwords.. but I have not domain stored passwords.
I had to log in to the BIOS..and the Toshiba or 4530s passwords worked to let me in..but with most of the BIOS settings greyed out.
But logging in to BIOS as non password secured 'Guest'..gave full access.

Going to try building a Win PE usb boot today on the working Win 7 Toshiba machine and then see if I can use that to access and repair the original 4 partition HP 4530 HDD. All partitions are there and readable when the 4530 is booted to OS-X. Read something about needing to make the HP recovery partition active. so that is the plan for the day. Build Win PE from Toshiba Win 7 machine and see fi that gets me anywhere.

OK< well hoping again that someone can help me on this.

After two days of repeated d/loads finally got a working copy of both Win 7 and Win PE.

Have used Win PE usb to boot and using ImageX have created a seemingly exact clone of the original 4530 HDD to a 160 gb HDD

Used this guide here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/newresponse/1693271

f11 does not boot to recovery partition though.
Guessing MBR issue
tried bootrec repairmbr , no joy...multiple threads on various forums also read and tried
Tried booting with Win 7 install disk and using repair option...no go either

the only difference I can see so far is that if I boot with Slax Live USB , the WORKING HP_Recovery partition is NOT visible from within Slax, where as the Non Working HP_Recvoery partition is visible.

Doing this just as learning experience..I can drop my OS-X SSD back in any time it has jsut become a challenge to 'fix' it

Any suggestions what I can try ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back