Contribute
Register

Clone complete original HP 4530s HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes the mythical Win7 disk.....confirmed to barracks at moment due the tendon graft ...the smallest things really beginning to p me off ..been stuck at home for 4 months now...even little things like those stupid little eject buttons on laptop CD's..that take an age to eject...Would it be too much for the manufacturers to produce a button that instantly powers dwon and ejects th ebloody CD...better still manual, so you can still open the bugger when the machine is powered off..and those stupid drawers that start closing just as you are about to remove the CD..so you physically have to hold the drawer from closing.

I had to replace a complete DVD writer the other day..it kept cosing on me...but it did it for the last time the other day..I just ripped the tray clean out the writer unit. i am really loosing it over minor things recently...not helped by this **** Gates ware. :banghead:

sorry for the rant...

Just trying to build a new Bart PE disk..my old one crashes these newer machines with a blue screen memory dump. Built it in to USB stick and the same ..will try the link you gave too

thanks for the link

Ah yes the mythical Win7 disk.....confirmed to barracks at moment due the tendon graft ...the smallest things really beginning to p me off ..been stuck at home for 4 months now...even little things like those stupid little eject buttons on laptop CD's..that take an age to eject...

I expect the time is such that the drive can "spin down" so that ejecting a spinning disc does not damage it.

Would it be too much for the manufacturers to produce a button that instantly powers dwon and ejects th ebloody CD...better still manual, so you can still open the bugger when the machine is powered off..

There is a small hole which can be used to eject the tray without power. Use a straightened paper clip.

and those stupid drawers that start closing just as you are about to remove the CD..so you physically have to hold the drawer from closing. I had to replace a complete DVD writer the other day..it kept cosing on me...but it did it for the last time the other day..I just ripped the tray clean out the writer unit. i am really loosing it over minor things recently...not helped by this **** Gates ware. :banghead:

sorry for the rant...

I would not hold my breath waiting for manufacturers to make any marked improvement to CD/DVD drives. Physical media such as the DVD/bluray/CD are going the way of the floppy drive (obsolete, unneeded technology).

And... I'm thinking you have Sony (if anyone) to blame for this, not Mr. Gates' Microsoft...

Well..MS is the cause of all this... the CD annoyances is just an aside..Yes some of the drives are likely Sony....not sure about them all though..like the ones in the Panasonic DVD player..or the Samsung..or the Mac Pro..

Got 4 laptops on the go here, in for cleanups. all friends. .plus my machines .. ..Toshiba, HP 4530s Hacintosh..old 2004 Sony Vaio, with Win Xp..the most reliable of the lot...

Yes, I know the paper clip trick..actually have a special tool for the job..a Snap-On tools workshop scribe I have thinned down .

Think I really need to go out for a long walk before i go bang big time :crazy:

Well..MS is the cause of all this... the CD annoyances is just an aside..Yes some of the drives are likely Sony....not sure about them all though..like the ones in the Panasonic DVD player..or the Samsung..or the Mac Pro..

Got 4 laptops on the go here, in for cleanups. all friends. .plus my machines .. ..Toshiba, HP 4530s Hacintosh..old 2004 Sony Vaio, with Win Xp..the most reliable of the lot...

Yes, I know the paper clip trick..actually have a special tool for the job..a Snap-On tools workshop scribe I have thinned down .

Think I really need to go out for a long walk before i go bang big time :crazy:

Everyone is entitled to their "opinion" I suppose.

Well yes, I created it by doing it..but would not have needed too if I had more money and had stuck with Mac and not tried to save cash by re using a 600gb HDD.

Only wanted to clone a HDD but this has ended up in a massive amount of tail chasing from one problem to another.that I have only personally ever encountered when using Windows.

One of the bits of cloning software..Winclone/Clonezilla/DriveImageXML/Macrium/ParagonFree/DiskUtil/DiskUtility/
Clone HDD/ Acronis 2004 vintage clone software plus who knows what else I have tried...has managed to write to the source disk and change the Boot info.

There was one link I found suggesting the use of Windows ImageX to copy the System, HP recovery and HP tools partitions.

Can't boot from CD in to something like
So need to boot in to Win PE.
so buidl Win PE CD....oh wait a minute..I am using a HDD CD caddy for one of the HDD..so NO CD to boot from ..

OK> create a USB boot..version of Win PE.

boots ...to the the BSOD..

it is just one thing after another..

and not having really been out of the house for 4 months..not working ..beginning to go stir crazy.cabin fever...

Hey..while writing this.reply...for the second time..I did a google search from the window top search bar ...and lsot the last post..... .the 80Gb HDD that I was going to use as backup HDD, ...failed to format..stuck at 59% . had to power off the 4530 with a long push of the power button...now the thing won't start, so it is the battery out, disconnect from mains and hold the power button down for 30 seconds trick...for F's sake is nothing going to go good today.

yes I know I am ranting..sorry

ummm...no looks like the ProBook 4530 now screwed too,.....just won't power on..the dreaded flashing orange light next to the power socket ...........:yawn:

Well yes, I created it by doing it..but would not have needed too if I had more money and had stuck with Mac and not tried to save cash by re using a 600gb HDD.

Only wanted to clone a HDD but this has ended up in a massive amount of tail chasing from one problem to another.that I have only personally ever encountered when using Windows.

One of the bits of cloning software..Winclone/Clonezilla/DriveImageXML/Macrium/ParagonFree/DiskUtil/DiskUtility/
Clone HDD/ Acronis 2004 vintage clone software plus who knows what else I have tried...has managed to write to the source disk and change the Boot info.

With almost all cloning software they will fail to create a bootable disk because:
- partition GUIDs change during the clone/restore (invalidating the GUIDs in \BOOT\BCD)
- boot records are often not copied

Both can be easily solved using (sometimes) the recovery tools in the Windows installer. And in all cases, you can use the command line tools in the Windows RE environment (Shift+F10 at the Windows installer first screen): BOOTREC.EXE, and BCDEDIT.EXE.

There was one link I found suggesting the use of Windows ImageX to copy the System, HP recovery and HP tools partitions.

Can't boot from CD in to something like
So need to boot in to Win PE.
so buidl Win PE CD....oh wait a minute..I am using a HDD CD caddy for one of the HDD..so NO CD to boot from ..

OK> create a USB boot..version of Win PE.

boots ...to the the BSOD..

it is just one thing after another..

and not having really been out of the house for 4 months..not working ..beginning to go stir crazy.cabin fever...

Hey..while writing this.reply...for the second time..I did a google search from the window top search bar ...and lsot the last post..... .the 80Gb HDD that I was going to use as backup HDD, ...failed to format..stuck at 59% . had to power off the 4530 with a long push of the power button...now the thing won't start, so it is the battery out, disconnect from mains and hold the power button down for 30 seconds trick...for F's sake is nothing going to go good today.

yes I know I am ranting..sorry

That 80GB drive must be pretty old...

With almost all cloning software they will fail to create a bootable disk because:
- partition GUIDs change during the clone/restore (invalidating the GUIDs in \BOOT\BCD)
- boot records are often not copied

That 80GB drive must be pretty old...

this issue seems to be a custom OEM issue..no one else has been able to do it with 'standard tools' either.

I have cloned many hdd in the past, expanding up/ and down in size. many threads about cloning HP Recovery partition..Windows AFDK? or similar 4 letter MS tool and Win ImageZ can be used to copy those HP OEM partitions.

But now i have this issue
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/107209-hp-probook-4530s-flashing-light-power-socket.html

just to throw something else in to the mix. and my general level of total anger. Putting them all away for the night now, was very close just now to ripping the screen off the 4530 . I am working here with one hand..the other in plaster cast.

Oh yes..80 gb probably a few years old but so is all of my kit..can't afford to buy new

Good Night all...off for a walk before I do physical damage to one of these machines..last time I felt like this, the blokes laptop got chucked out the window on to the road below. I had told him previously not to do what he had just done again..for the 4th time..and what I would do if he brought his bloody machine back to me.

anger management in process now.. shutting down for the night before physical damage occurs

Thanks

this issue seems to be a custom OEM issue..no one else has been able to do it with 'standard tools' either.

I have cloned many hdd in the past, expanding up/ and down in size. many threads about cloning HP Recovery partition..Windows AFDK? or similar 4 letter MS tool and Win ImageZ can be used to copy those HP OEM partitions.

It is possible, but requires expert skills...

Which is why HP sells Recovery DVDs, and/or gives you a program to create them.

But now i have this issue
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/107209-hp-probook-4530s-flashing-light-power-socket.html

just to throw something else in to the mix. and my general level of total anger.

Battery/AC adapter issue? Try EC reset: Shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

Which is why HP sells Recovery DVDs, and/or gives you a program to create them.

Yes...SELLS... not something I can afford to do or need to do ..as I said earlier this is as much for my own learning as anything else else..

program to create them only works if you have a disk that boots..which I now do not and as previously noted..not something I even knew existed..I do not remember that being an option when I last bought a new Windows machine...2003..it came with a set of CD's .end of story

Battery/AC adapter issue? Try EC reset: Shutdown, remove all power sources, hold power button 30 sec, put everything back & restart.

No idea..as yet..this happened once before when first building the hacinstosh, been fine ever since. Going to leave it overnight for the caps to discharge ..tried the 30-40 second power trick a couple of times and no go..
if it does not fire up in morning on AC adapter.,it is probably going in the bin..just can't be bothered...pull the RAM and the SSD and trash it..along with the Toshiba and the other old MacBook Pro (07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back