1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
I have a second hard drive in place of the optical drive I never use. I mostly only use it for backups and Linux experimentation. It is usually not spinning when I am in Yosemite. I have checked the "put hard disks to sleep" in Energy Saver pref pane. (pmset says it waits 10 minutes before going to sleep.)

Whenever I click the HWMonitor icon in the menu bar, the drive spins up, which is a waste of battery power. The main hard drive in this system is SSD, so it is possible to feel and hear the secondary 7200 RPM drive start spinning. I guess probing its temperature causes it to wake.

Is there a way to get HWMonitor to ignore one or both drives? I do not really care about hard drive temps, but I like HWMonitor's other information right there on the menu bar.

I have a second hard drive in place of the optical drive I never use. I mostly only use it for backups and Linux experimentation. It is usually not spinning when I am in Yosemite. I have checked the "put hard disks to sleep" in Energy Saver pref pane. (pmset says it waits 10 minutes before going to sleep.)

Whenever I click the HWMonitor icon in the menu bar, the drive spins up, which is a waste of battery power. The main hard drive in this system is SSD, so it is possible to feel and hear the secondary 7200 RPM drive start spinning. I guess probing its temperature causes it to wake.

Is there a way to get HWMonitor to ignore one or both drives? I do not really care about hard drive temps, but I like HWMonitor's other information right there on the menu bar.

Try changing your HwMonitor preferences such that the HDD temp is not displayed on the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back