Graphics
nVida GTX 580 - Zotac
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, I'm trying to do a clean install on a hard drive using iBoot 2.6 and a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install Disk.

The hardware I'm using (see signature) has worked on a clean install before, the only thing that has changed since then is the new GTX580 upgraded from a GTX285. I don't have another card laying around or I'd just throw that in for the install, then install the customized nvidia drivers for the GTX580, as I've seen that has been otherwise successful for other people in getting the 580 working.

iBoot runs/recognizes everything fine, as does the retail disk right up until where, I'd surmise, it tries to bring up the GUI. The issue is that the system hangs upon receiving the message: "DSMOS has arrived". The DVD drive spins down and Caps Lock no longer toggles its light on/off. I never get a KP or any other indication of a system hang. I've tried PCIRootUID=1 to see if the 400 series support was close enough for the 580, but I've had no luck with that, nor with GraphicsEnabler=yes. I _do_ see correct GPU information being populated on the screen when using GE=yes, as far as the card's name and memory goes at least, but no matter what arguments I use, I always get the same hang at the same point in the boot.

Any thoughts, ideas, or experiences with this? I could take out the card and let it try to boot up without any display output...but I can't think of a way to verify it ever got to the GUI at that point, thus verifying it's an issue with supporting the 580.

Man...whatever happened to the good ol' days of text-based installs :p. Hey there's a thought...I'll try booting single user mode, and see where that gets me. Perhaps I can install the modified nvidia drivers from the command line and /then/ kick up the GUI. I'll let you know what I find, and thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Well, it boots great into single user mode, but that doesn't really get me any closer to installing the OS. Hmm.

ubertrickted said:
So, I'm trying to do a clean install on a hard drive using iBoot 2.6 and a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Install Disk.

The hardware I'm using (see signature) has worked on a clean install before, the only thing that has changed since then is the new GTX580 upgraded from a GTX285. I don't have another card laying around or I'd just throw that in for the install, then install the customized nvidia drivers for the GTX580, as I've seen that has been otherwise successful for other people in getting the 580 working.

iBoot runs/recognizes everything fine, as does the retail disk right up until where, I'd surmise, it tries to bring up the GUI. The issue is that the system hangs upon receiving the message: "DSMOS has arrived". The DVD drive spins down and Caps Lock no longer toggles its light on/off. I never get a KP or any other indication of a system hang. I've tried PCIRootUID=1 to see if the 400 series support was close enough for the 580, but I've had no luck with that, nor with GraphicsEnabler=yes. I _do_ see correct GPU information being populated on the screen when using GE=yes, as far as the card's name and memory goes at least, but no matter what arguments I use, I always get the same hang at the same point in the boot.

Any thoughts, ideas, or experiences with this? I could take out the card and let it try to boot up without any display output...but I can't think of a way to verify it ever got to the GUI at that point, thus verifying it's an issue with supporting the 580.

Man...whatever happened to the good ol' days of text-based installs :p. Hey there's a thought...I'll try booting single user mode, and see where that gets me. Perhaps I can install the modified nvidia drivers from the command line and /then/ kick up the GUI. I'll let you know what I find, and thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Well, it boots great into single user mode, but that doesn't really get me any closer to installing the OS. Hmm.
Your problem is the graphics card - no support in Apple, no nVidia drivers for anything newer than the GTX4xxx series.

Going Bald said:
Your problem is the graphics card - no support in Apple, no nVidia drivers for anything newer than the GTX4xxx series.

That's precisely what I was afraid of. Thank you for the definitive answer - I guess I'll just hang tight until support shows up...or round up the scratch for a suitable stand-in.

Thanks again!

CoreOSX said:

Ahh HAH! That's where I'm confused. I know the tonymacx86 nvidia update will support the 580, or at least in theory, but I think my hang up here is that I can't even get the OS to install to be able to /use/ the modified nvidia update to begin with. Interesting find though, I've seen many things saying something similar, but I haven't seen this specific post. I'll give it a look through when I get home from work.

One thing that comes to mind is perhaps it's not the iBoot version that's giving me issues, and that it's because my retail disk is 10.6.3? I may be mistaken, but I believe I had issues in the past going to 10.6.3 in the combo updated for some reason or another. Something tells me if I can try installing 10.6.0 that I'd be able to update straight through to 10.6.6 without any problems.

Thanks, and nice find.

The post is mistaken. Originally it was believed that the Nvidia Update held Drivers for all available cards (at the time, this is not including the new GTX 560). Later it was discovered the 5xx Series has 0 support in this Update.

Yeah, bit confusing.

Don't think its the GTX 580 at fault here however. Firstly because there are several active GTX 580 Users on the Forum, not sure if they installed OS X with their GTX 580 but I know at least the basics of the card work, even though there's the hated "Fermi Freeze" issue. Not the whole thing will work successfully, but some of it. Secondly:

Found this on Google:
hmmm DSMOS means "Don't Steal Mac OS". It's Apple way of checking that SL is running on real Apple hardware ... your issue don't seem to be dsmos.kext cause removing it for sure it won't boot at all.

Think there are some other programs to replace iBoot too if you want to try with those, although I don't think they'll make much of a difference.

Implied said:
The post is mistaken. Originally it was believed that the Nvidia Update held Drivers for all available cards (at the time, this is not including the new GTX 560). Later it was discovered the 5xx Series has 0 support in this Update.

Yeah, bit confusing.

Don't think its the GTX 580 at fault here however. Firstly because there are several active GTX 580 Users on the Forum, not sure if they installed OS X with their GTX 580 but I know at least the basics of the card work, even though there's the hated "Fermi Freeze" issue. Not the whole thing will work successfully, but some of it. Secondly:

Found this on Google:
hmmm DSMOS means "Don't Steal Mac OS". It's Apple way of checking that SL is running on real Apple hardware ... your issue don't seem to be dsmos.kext cause removing it for sure it won't boot at all.

Think there are some other programs to replace iBoot too if you want to try with those, although I don't think they'll make much of a difference.

I remember seeing the "Don't Steam Mac OS.kext" messages from Tiger and Leopard and such, I think it's kind of funny that they shortened it into DSMOS. Looking further into it, I've come to realize that my issue is /actually/:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out).

Super bummed. I've gone through the BIOS many times trying different things with no luck. I appreciate the clarification on the lack of current support for the GTX580 - perhaps I'll have a geek-day and borrow a friend's card for the install and try to pop it in post-install. Unless I can find a headless way of installing it...I'm all for a little SSH/impromptu VNC :p.

Thanks again for the help!

Any updates on 5xx Series GPU Support?

Did you ever try the swaparoo?

Im thinking of grabbing myself a GTX590 when it comes out but hope to see some support for any 5xx first!

:)

Anyone? How about full support for a 480 with 100% QE/CI ?

K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back