Graphics
GTX 550Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Cinebench Score for OpenCL was 39.57 fps and the CPU was 6.62pts. This is on my new 550ti. Are these respectable?

dmbpettit said:
My Cinebench Score for OpenCL was 39.57 fps and the CPU was 6.62pts. This is on my new 550ti. Are these respectable?

Hi!

I have the same video card, but it is giving me some problems with 3D apps. The card runs apparently fine, giving me full resolution in both dvi and hdmi, BUT the system freezes on games. What did you do to make it work?

Thank you in advance.

1- You mean OpenGL score, don't you? not OpenCL!

2- I am also trying to get an understanding graphic cards...
I ran Cinebench 11.5 and found an OpenGL score of 34.50 fps with a GTX 260 card and i7-2600 CPU.
Checking on this site: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html I find your card and mine are similar, and our scores are similar too.

[EDIT] Another test with HD 6450 card gives me an OpenGL score = 14.19 fps

My CPU score is around 6.80, also similar to yours.

Now the thing that still puzzles me is OpenCL... that thing is so... invisible! Is there even a place in Mac OS X UI where we can see it is ON? Is it only within specific apps that you can see that you are running OpenCL?
I tried to run Luxmarks 2.0, I see things happening on screen, I end up with a score in the 300's (CPU + GPU), but I still feel like a blind man. Is that 300 score any good?

I know OpenCL is more important for my hackintosh as I am not interested one bit in gaming, all I intend to do with it is photo editing (Aperture + plugins) and movie editing (FPC-X) and I am eager to finish tuning it to finally getting started and do interesting things...
... not that learning all this hackintosh stuff, learning a bit of Unix, etc... is not interesting, it is, but there are only a few magic days when I feel I am making progress and then many days in between, reading and reading and feeling I am running in loops.

Well, I hesitate to buy a better gfx card as I don't really know what I am going to get in return. That's why I am trying to get a grasp of OpenCL.

Now the thing that still puzzles me is OpenCL... that thing is so... invisible! Is there even a place in Mac OS X UI where we can see it is ON? Is it only within specific apps that you can see that you are running OpenCL?
I tried to run Luxmarks 2.0, I see things happening on screen, I end up with a score in the 300's (CPU + GPU), but I still feel like a blind man. Is that 300 score any good?

I found an interesting OpenCL bench app named "Oceanwave GPU Bench", much more user friendly than Luxmarks.
Google it to find it...

- There is an "Information" tab. It says that this app mostly uses the GPU, and effectively, my CPU load was very low during the test.
- There is a "Log" tab starting with "INITIALISING: 1 OpenCL platform found!" This is comforting!
- Another tab has comparative results. It says 45 fps for a Radeon HD 6450, and I am getting 58 fps with that card.

Here's the benchmark for 6870. If you're going with AMD card for your OSX, this is the top of the line that is currently supported well.

OpenGL Cinebench - 53.3fps
6870.png

Open CL - 378.1 fps
opencl.jpg

And yes, supported also by Premiere CS6 (hardware acceleration OpenCL)
6870cs6.jpg

Here's the benchmark for 6870. If you're going with AMD card for your OSX, this is the top of the line that is currently supported well.
OpenGL Cinebench - 53.3fps
Open CL - 378.1 fps
And yes, supported also by Premiere CS6 (hardware acceleration OpenCL)

Thanks a lot for your benchmark figures! And that card is reasonably priced...

But what about FCP-X support? I am not planning to use Adobe Premiere at all.

Works no problem with FCPX... heck, even with an "old" Final Cut Pro 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back