Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was one of the people who got a Chromebook Pixel at Google I/O and I've spent some time playing around with it, installing Ubuntu but I would really love to try to turn it into a Hackintosh! I am a complete noob so I thought I would post asking for some guidance. Here are the specs of the Pixel:

CPU
Intel® Core™ i5 Processor (Dual Core 1.8GHz)
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (Integrated)

NETWORK
Dual-band WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2
Bluetooth 3.0™
Built-in LTE modem + GPS

MEMORY
4 GB DDR3 RAM
64 GB Solid State Drive*

Does this seem like a good candidate?

I looked into this previously, and I believe the bootloader is locked to only allowing chrome os/ a linux alternative to be installed on it. If we got past that, all the components seem to be USB based, so it should work fine.

I looked into this previously, and I believe the bootloader is locked to only allowing chrome os/ a linux alternative to be installed on it. If we got past that, all the components seem to be USB based, so it should work fine.

I already passed that... I'm able to make it USB bootable, for answer the previous post,
here is my tutorial in here
tech.i24e.co

I'm able to use the tutorial install Mountain Lion on Chromebook Pixel LTE version, but the graphci driver is half working, it still flickering. The wireless, keyboard, touchpad, touch-screen are not on working condition either.

hope someone will found a better solution than what i have right now.

did you find a way to get the touchpad working? i could get the keyboard working but never the touchpad

For the touchscreen, I'd ask if it was recognized by OSX first. If it's recognized, look up the device and vendor ID's and see if touch-base.com has drivers for them.

I was able to get full resolution (retina mode) working in OS X 10.8.4 on my Chromebook Pixel by editing the DSDT. Specifically, I added the following Method to the IGPU device (0x00020000):

Code:
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "AAPL,ig-platform-id",
                            Buffer (0x04) { 0x02, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01 },
                            "AAPL00,DualLink",
                            Buffer (0x04) { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 }

}, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }

I have to say - the screen is pretty amazing on the Pixel, and OS X looks beautiful in retina mode. I should mention however that I still don't have QE/CI acceleration - I'm hoping to find a way to enable it. The touchpad/touchscreen and WiFi are also not working yet for me in OS X. I could get by without WiFI as I'm using a tiny USB WiFi adapter, but it would be really nice to get the touchpad working.

I think I read somewhere that the touchpad is an I2C device (from Atmel) hanging off the graphics device. There's a linux driver for it in the Chromebook Pixel kernel sources, and I wonder if it could be compiled or adapted for OS X...

I'd love to see this thing fully functional running OS X at some point, as the hardware is really underutilized with the stock ChromeOS (there's only so much you can currently do with web apps), and other Linux distros' support for High DPI is really weak.

I was able to get full resolution (retina mode) working in OS X 10.8.4 on my Chromebook Pixel by editing the DSDT. Specifically, I added the following Method to the IGPU device (0x00020000):

Code:
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "AAPL,ig-platform-id",
                            Buffer (0x04) { 0x02, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01 },
                            "AAPL00,DualLink",
                            Buffer (0x04) { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 }

}, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }

I have to say - the screen is pretty amazing on the Pixel, and OS X looks beautiful in retina mode. I should mention however that I still don't have QE/CI acceleration - I'm hoping to find a way to enable it. The touchpad/touchscreen and WiFi are also not working yet for me in OS X. I could get by without WiFI as I'm using a tiny USB WiFi adapter, but it would be really nice to get the touchpad working.

I think I read somewhere that the touchpad is an I2C device (from Atmel) hanging off the graphics device. There's a linux driver for it in the Chromebook Pixel kernel sources, and I wonder if it could be compiled or adapted for OS X...

I'd love to see this thing fully functional running OS X at some point, as the hardware is really underutilized with the stock ChromeOS (there's only so much you can currently do with web apps), and other Linux distros' support for High DPI is really weak.

How were your results?

Hi,

I'm still working on making chromebook pixel be able to run hackintosh. Is there any useful guide right now?

Hi,

I'm still working on making chromebook pixel be able to run hackintosh. Is there any useful guide right now?

What are the hardware specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back