Contribute
Register

Chris' Build GA-Z87-HD3 i5-4670 Intel 4600 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I'm getting desperate here, I'm not new to Hackintoshing, I must have built close to 20 over the last 7 years for friends and family, at least. But for the first time, I'm really stuck:

Here's the specs of the rig I'm trying to build:

MoBo: GA-Z87-HD3 with BIOS F6, then updated to F7 just to try, same problems with both versions
CPU: i3 4330 (it is a non-K, but Vt-d is greyed out and on "Enabled" in the BIOS settings)
RAM: 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX DDR3 1600 Non-ECC CL9 (it is included in the supported memory list, and I'm using only one stick for the install)
Xilence 480W PSU (could THAT be the problem, too low power?)
SATA Seagate 320GB Hard Disk, I don't have the exact model at hand, but I doubt that could be the source of the trouble

My problem is that I can't get to the installer, no matter what combination of XHCI settings, EHCI settings and boot flags I use. I've used GraphicsEnabler= Yes and No, PCIRootUID=1 and 0, npci=0x3000 and no npci, -v, -x, maxmem=4096 in nearly all combinations that seemed to make sense... and ALWAYS get kernel panics before getting to the installer. What worries me is that everyone seems to get to the installer without major problems and without boot flags worth mentioning.

I have a working Hackintosh. I could install Mavericks onto the hard disk on it, I suppose, but I'm afraid that I would just get the same kernel panics booting into Mavericks as into the installer. Nevertheless, that is what I'm going to try while I wait for a reply of some knowledgeable, friendly soul on this great forum... I'm biting my nails out over this!

Later I'll make a photo of one of those kernel panics, I can't right now; it's the same as another member posted a few posts above.

Thanks in advance to you all!

I myself am very new to the scene, having only built one hackintosh by following this thread, but it sounds like you are doing everything right. The only thing I can suggest is try rebuilding your install USB drive. Did you use the 10.9.3 installer to create it? I've had issues with using 10.9.3, even with creating one for an official Mac. If you did use 10.9.3 to create your installer, maybe try recreating it with 10.9.2 and see if you still get the kernel panics. I hope this helps!

Tim

My problem is that I can't get to the installer, no matter what combination of XHCI settings, EHCI settings and boot flags I use. I've used GraphicsEnabler= Yes and No, PCIRootUID=1 and 0, npci=0x3000 and no npci, -v, -x, maxmem=4096 in nearly all combinations that seemed to make sense... and ALWAYS get kernel panics before getting to the installer. What worries me is that everyone seems to get to the installer without major problems and without boot flags worth mentioning.

I struggled with the same issue. Of course a quadruple check BIOS settings, everything was set as per RockinWaggy's post. The ONLY way it worked on my system was: PCIRootUID=1 -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000

After that, installing the 3.1 system definition everything was good in terms of starting w/o boot flags. Also using RockinWaggy's instructions, I got the video/audio working again.

Really strange because I had QE working once w/o audio, but didnt need any boot flags. Tried to fix audio and I messed the install up, so I started over from scratch and thats when all my troubles began.

I just discovered that the built in ethernet is not working, so I need to figure that out now. But I have an Atheros wifi card in there for now...

Thank you all, Tjohns34, rockingwaggy and j1sjeep! I'll try all of your suggestions again tomorrow. One thing I don't know is how I could go back to 10.9.2 if I already updated my Mavericks Installer app to 10.9.3... but other than that, I'll be able to try all of your suggestions.

I'll report back!

Well, thank you all very much for your suggestions! I managed to get to the installer. I think what clinched it was rockingwaggy's suggestion about setting video memory to 1024; I also set XHCI mode back to disabled as suggested, but I don't think that's what made it work, as I had already tried every combination of XHCI mode and XHCI/EHCI Handoff possible (I think). I managed to get to the installer both with tonymacx86's Unibeast, and with a Clover UEFI bootable USB Mavericks installer made as per these instructions: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

That is the route I am following right now. This type of install seems to take a lot longer than I'm used to, First it prepared the drive, then the computer rebooted, so I had to use the USB bootloader to start the installer again, then the second phase (Installing Mavericks) was taking so long at, seeming to hang at the "Time remaining: 3 minutes", that I had to leave for work. I assume it will work, in the end, but I won't know until this evening, I'm afraid...

I almost forgot: after setting video memory and XHCI mode, the only boot flag I used with Unibeast was -v, to see how it went along, and it worked first time. With Clover, I didn't use any boot flags at all, but still got -v (i suppose the config file included in the abve mentioned instructions includes that boot flag).

Thanks a lot again! I will update this post tonight to say whether Clover install worked.

For ethernet, we use Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx kernel extension.

I have it working intermittently. The interface always comes up and is visible in the System Report, however IP doesn't always bind to the if. (ifconfig disagrees, but cannot see any traffic) Usually, a few reboots gets it working. Starting to wonder if theres something wrong with my board.

Tried a different cable yet?

;-)

This is def a driver or ip stack issue. Most likely driver because the Atheros card works fine.

I had left a terminal window open, pinging the gateway... While reinstalling the driver through MB, it briefly pinged the gateway (about 6-7 times). When MB was done reinstalling driver, I was back at square one.

;-)

This is def a driver or ip stack issue. Most likely driver because the Atheros card works fine.
It was a driver issue. I changed to Mieze's port of the Realtek Linux v8.037.00 driver included in MB 6.4 (REALTEKRTL8111 v.1.2.0). I plugged in my Macbook Pro via ethernet and whatdoyaknow it works! Got Gigabit between the two machines directly.

I updated to 10.9.4 and Chimera 3. I have no sound after sleep natively, so I'm using the Reset AppleHDA app to automatically restart CoreAudio after a wake. It worked perfectly for about a week, but twice so far I have reboot the machine to get audio back. Very annoying.

I've kept with the MB 6.4 audio fix because it has gotten rid of any popping that I had before on 10.9.3 with MB 6.1's mod, with Garageband and Chrome when playing YouTube. Hopefully somebody will fix the audio issues, maybe even with 10.10.

I also had an odd issue where I would select Reboot from the Apple menu and it wouldn't do anything. After about a minute the confirmation window popped up, but clicking did nothing. After about 15 seconds, it rebooted and has been fine since.

I recently got a C615 Logitech camera to use with FaceTime, Skype and Hangouts. I went to login to FaceTime for the first time and it would say "verifying..." and then kick me back to the login screen. I deleted the securityd plists as per the "How to Fix iMessage" thread and it gave me a Customer Code to call Apple with. Recently I had to do some mucking about to get iMessage to work again after it being kicked off one day in the last two weeks. It's all documented in the iMessage thread. Just so everyone's aware, the Z87-HD3 does not appear to suffer from the SId bug. All of my serials, uuids, mlb and rom values check out and match were appropriate.

I called Apple, gave them the serial to my MBP, inquired about purchasing a single-incident AppleCare service and was told that would probably unnecessary if it was something like a simple setting that had to be changed. I told him the Customer Code I was given by OS X and it started working perfectly. He did not charge me. iMessage and FaceTime worked perfectly after that. FYI, App Store, iCloud and iTunes worked fine even during the whole iMessage/FTime debackle.

Now, to fix the audio issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back