Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-75BM-D3H
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 460
I have a late 09 MacBook Pro. I also have a brand new hackintosh and I want to use the old mac hard drive to install windows on as the newer one is larger. I bought a 2.5 inch sata case and after removing the mac hard drive, it has four screws on the sides that cause it to not fit (hex?). I'm not sure if I can safely remove these or if it's better to just get another case. If so, is there any store that I can buy one for cheap. Best buy sells them for like $30 according to an ad I saw. I want it ASAP, so not sure if amazon is too slow. I'm very eager to get both halves of my computer up to speed. The one I got was for a amazon store for like $6 with shipping, but I'm a little short on patience now.

Another note, is the rest of the laptop worth anything in parts? I don't have much use for the battery as it's shot. Can I do anything with the motherboard or sell it?

Nothing special about those screws other than they are probably torx. If you don't have the proper bit, just use needle nose pliers to twist them out.

Quick question, can I install windows on a USB mounted hard drive, or must it be mounted internally with a sata cable?

Last time I did that, I was using a customized windows DVD that could also boot from USB. I'd just give it a go... easiest way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back