i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You've bought your new build components at steep discounts on Black Friday Month + Cyber Monday 2022. Now what case do you put all this new hardware into ? Re-use that older beat up case that you never really liked anyway ? Your budget for the case restricts you to $75 or less. You don't want to buy a junky $40 case that will fall apart and break. Not a good idea. This Deals of the Day post will help you to find a case with thick, high quality steel that fits your budget, yet won't disappoint you.

Most every single one of the top 20 best selling PC cases on Newegg or Amazon.com have mesh fronts.
https://www.newegg.com/d/Best-Sellers/Computer-Cases/s/ID-7

As of December 2022 it's 17 of 20 on Newegg.com. Of those, quite a few have RGB fans that you can see through the mesh. Prices for these cases start at 100 USD and go up from there. The exception is the solid front panel Rosewill prism that currently sells for just $50.

The $105 Corsair 4000D Airflow in black or white is constantly the best selling case in the US. Doesn't really appeal to me. High Airflow is the latest marketing buzz-term that gets people to buy cases. I've never had a build yet with overheating problems that would be solved be solved simply by putting 1000s of small holes in the front panel. RGB lighted fans probably wouldn't help either. If you choose a good CPU cooler, have the right fans in the right places, overheating shouldn't be an issue.
Screen Shot 26.jpg

If you want no mesh, no glass and no RGB but still want a 5.25" bay Fractal design has a case for you..

Screen Shot 28.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-pop-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352176?

The Pop Silent actually has two 5.25" bays in the front. Near the bottom of the case. One is occupied by a removable drawer. A great choice for an audio focused build that must be very quiet. Add in a Blu-Ray drive if you'd like one.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

I bought the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

The new Fractal case I ordered from Newegg arrived yesterday and I've just had a little time today to open it up and get a good look. I paid Newegg $75 plus shipping but the normal retail is closer to $125. It's the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact with a glass side panel. I can live without the glass too but the solid side panel version cost about $40 more.

So why doesn't the Compact version of the Define 7 sell very well ? Not even as good as the huge XL iteration ?

As I said earlier, most people today want a mesh front that you can see RGB lighted fans through. That's what sells. Fractal has discounted these Compact ATX versions because of that. They sell plenty of other mesh front, High Airflow cases like the Torrent. This Define 7 has a very nice, real brushed Aluminum front panel and the airflow goes through the two front corners of the case. Not as much air, but still adequate for a mid range system that doesn't get pushed to extremes. You wouldn't put an i9-13900K and an RTX 4090 in this case. For my needs it's perfect. I prefer a quieter system with less fans and minimal RGB.

1671225319368.png
Screen Shot 23.jpg

So if you want a case like this that has super high build quality, fit and finish, this is a great deal. You can find full reviews on Youtube. At $75 it's one of the best cases I've ever owned that sells for under $80. Don't hesitate if you need a new ATX case. In my opinion it's the case deal of the 21st century. BTW only Newegg offers it at this 75 dollar price. The shipping charge is reasonable too. Mine arrived in perfect condition via UPS shipping.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-7-compact-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352128

My idea of the proper amount of RGB lighting for a new FD Define 7 Compact case. Didn't cost me a nickel extra.

IMG_20221216_163751871_MP.jpg

Unless you really want a heavy/large case, don't buy the regular Define 7. It must say Compact in the title. Here's the difference in size between the two cases:

Fractal Design Define 7 on the left and the Define 7 Compact is on the right

Screen Shot 13.jpg

The specs of the larger define 7 can be found here: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7/

The larger case on the left weighs in at 30 lbs. That's without any hardware installed ! The Compact version weighs in at just under 19 lbs. As most other case makers have given us thinner steel, Fractal has kept their standards of build quality intact.

Last edited:
If you do need more airflow you can swap out the solid top panel for one with ventilation. Set the fans to move hot air up and out the top. This is included in the box at no extra charge.

1671226643426.png

Last edited:
If I were to rate this case on a 1-10 scale, I'd give it a 9.5. If they would have given us even .5 inches more space behind the mobo tray it would have gotten a ten from me. Really is that good. The low price helps to reinforce the high quality and high value aspect. The tool free side panels are what won me over. Really hate having thumbscrews on side panels, even if they're captive.

This video review shows you all the unique features I really like about this case. The only real limitation is that you can't install a 240mm AIO radiator in the top due to space limits when you have tall ram or large VRM cooling heatsinks. Finally, use a modular PSU that has flat cables and cable management should be very easy. Even if you install a 3.5" HDD. That is what the build part of the review shows.

Last edited:
The White edition looks awesome too. Have a look. Too bad you can't buy one at the low $75 price on Newegg.

Last edited:
Get the NZXT H510 ATX case for $60

Another good ATX case option from Newegg. $30 off the NZXT H510. With shipping it costs $65 and your state's sales tax.
Not as fully featured or premium feeling as the Fractal Define 7, but again, it doesn't have front mesh so they don't sell as well. NZXT discounts them, win for us. I didn't like the limited front I/O panel so I went with the Define 7.

Screen Shot 22.jpg

Only one USB type A on the front I/O. This was a deal breaker.

Only the black/black and black/red versions are on sale. If you want white, it costs a lot more.

https://www.newegg.com/matte-black-nzxt-h-series-h510-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811146315

Screen Shot 21.jpg

If you buy from Amazon they offer free shipping. Saves you a little money. They match the Newegg price.

The hole filled NZXT H7 flow case starts at a hefty $130 price ! Maybe buy the H510 and drill the holes yourself.

1671275857454.png

Last edited:
Here's the reason why case and fan manufacturers/sellers love the RGB craze. Profits. If you can make a product for a dollar more expense and sell it for 3x the normal asking price, your profit margins go way up. RGB lights do nothing to make your case cooler or improve the fans performance. If people are stupid enough to pay this, companies like Corsair will gladly take the extra cash. $30 dollars per fan. The actual cost without RGB lighting would be closer to $10 per fan for a 3 pack. The whole FD Define 7 Compact case sells for $75 and comes with two non-RGB fans.

Screen Shot 22.jpg

What if you do want glass, lots of RGB fans, mesh and a low budget price ? Is there anything under $75 ?

Yes, there is. Also at Newegg:

Montech AIR 100 ARGB Micro-ATX - On sale for $64.99 currently

The steel is thin. The PCIe slot covers are "pop out" and can't be replaced. Fans are 3 pin DC fans don't move a lot of air but when you put 3 together it adds up. It is a good basic case if you need more airflow and want the pretty lighted fans shining through the front. Build quality is ok but no where near the Focus 2 case you'll see in post #9.

https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-00CN-00033?

1671367215789.png

Last edited:
Another good example of how prices get inflated when RGB is added. DDR5 ram is a little faster, it's newer too. Doesn't explain why a non-rgb 16GB DDR4 3200 kit from Corsair costs around 53 dollars and a DDR5 RGB kit (also 16 GB) sells for double the price. 16GB of ram is 16GB, last time I checked. If you must have the "Infrared Sync Technology" there is no other choice but the cough up that extra 53+ dollars for it.

Screen Shot 25.jpg

Screen Shot 26.jpg

Last edited:
OK, so you want mesh, high airflow and RGB, Fractal Design still has an affordable high quality case for you. It's called the Focus 2 and sells for as little as $54.99 + shipping at Newegg. Watch the video to see how good the build quality is for the price. https://www.newegg.com/white-fractal-design-focus-2-atx-mid-tower/p/11-352-192

There are MANY $55 cases for sale that are complete junk. They'll cut you badly when you build in one. Will never happen if you choose the F.D. Focus 2. The video shows a very high end Intel build I would not put in this case but you can do it. The White/Black theme looks incredible but the build is also incredibly expensive. I'd guess that the hardware tab would be around $2500 but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
Matt Lee's builds are works of art. They look almost too good. I wouldn't even want to use it, just look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back