Contribute
Register

Chimera support booting from the third partition of a HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Does Chimera, or OSX for that matter, only support booting from the first partition on a HDD?

I have bootable partition, number 3 of 3 on a secondary HDD, of which I've installed Chimera on, and the boot loader doesn't recognize it.

Does Chimera, or OSX for that matter, only support booting from the first partition on a HDD?

I have bootable partition, number 3 of 3 on a secondary HDD, of which I've installed Chimera on, and the boot loader doesn't recognize it.

Chimera can boot from any partition (or drive for that matter) as long as it's recognized as a bootable device in the bios. Chimera has to exist in the bootstrap for the drive / usb / CD, but you can change the default boot partition to whatever you want in org.chameleon.boot.plist by adding the the following key and string (obviously modify the string to whatever is appropriate for your system).

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>

I don't understand the nonclementure...

"Default Partition"=hd(<x>,<y>) | <uuid> | <label>Sets the default boot partition, Specified as a disk/partition pair, an uuid, or a label enclosed in quotes [No default]

In my case I want to boot from a partition named "OSX Backup". When I perform a Get Info on it with Disk Utility it shows me that it is disk1s4. Should my string look like this:

<string>"OSX Backup"(1,4)</string>

I don't understand the nonclementure...

"Default Partition"=hd(<x>,<y>) | <uuid> | <label>Sets the default boot partition, Specified as a disk/partition pair, an uuid, or a label enclosed in quotes [No default]

In my case I want to boot from a partition named "OSX Backup". When I perform a Get Info on it with Disk Utility it shows me that it is disk1s4. Should my string look like this:

<string>"OSX Backup"(1,4)</string>

The syntax is
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

where x = your hard drive id and y = the desired partition

So, for your system, add the following lines to org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<string>hd(1,4)</string>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back