Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have everything running smoothly on my hackintosh except for the chimera boot screen. It shows my OSX HHD and my WIN8 HDD but when I select WIN8 I get an error saying there is nothing to boot up. Do I have to manually point Chimera to the Windows boot loader?
One other thing, is it possible to set chimera to pause until I make a selection instead of auto booting OS X?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have everything running smoothly on my hackintosh except for the chimera boot screen. It shows my OSX HHD and my WIN8 HDD but when I select WIN8 I get an error saying there is nothing to boot up. Do I have to manually point Chimera to the Windows boot loader?
One other thing, is it possible to set chimera to pause until I make a selection instead of auto booting OS X?

Thanks in advance.

There is not much information to go off here, but I'm guessing that you installed Windows in UEFI mode instead of Legacy/BIOS mode. The deal is Windows will install UEFI if the installer is booted with UEFI. It will install BIOS/Legacy if the installer is booted in BIOS mode. So, you probably need to re-install Win8, because Chimera can only boot a BIOS/Legacy Windows install.

Yeah, that could be. I didn't really see that kind of option when installing.
I just pointed the installer to the empty drive. What steps do I take to do that?
Do I then need to reinstall chimera after I get the new windows install going?

Yeah, that could be. I didn't really see that kind of option when installing.
I just pointed the installer to the empty drive. What steps do I take to do that?
Do I then need to reinstall chimera after I get the new windows install going?

It is how you boot the installer. It is not an option in the Windows installer (that would have probably just confused everyone). When you boot your Windows install media (be it USB or DVD), you need to make sure you are not booting it in UEFI mode. How you do that depends on your motherboard and BIOS. But if you see something about UEFI while you are selecting the DVD/USB during the boot selection process, then that is NOT what you want. Best is if you can find the option for UEFI boot in BIOS and simply turn it off.

Thanks Rehabman,

Yeah I'm reading it. I think my problem may be that my installer USB is only UEFI compatible. When I go into legacy/bios mode the USB key is no longer a visable option.

Thanks Rehabman,

Yeah I'm reading it. I think my problem may be that my installer USB is only UEFI compatible. When I go into legacy/bios mode the USB key is no longer a visable option.

How did you create it? Sounds like it might not have a boot record on it...

If you use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" (search for it -- it is direct from Microsoft), it should work.

Yup, that worked. Worked great actually.

One other question, do you know if it's possible to have chimera pause until I make a selection? Right now it counts down and starts OS X right away unless I press 'enter' and then make a selection. It'd be nice to be able to have it stop there and let me use the mouse to select when I'm ready.

Yup, that worked. Worked great actually.

One other question, do you know if it's possible to have chimera pause until I make a selection? Right now it counts down and starts OS X right away unless I press 'enter' and then make a selection. It'd be nice to be able to have it stop there and let me use the mouse to select when I'm ready.

You can set Instant Menu in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. There is an option in Multibeast which will do this edit for you. You could also use Chameleon Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back