Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not able to install Chimera/Chameleon on SSD that already has Clover installed to it. My BIOS is set to boot the SSD MBR, but every time I install Chameleon or Chimera it doesn't boot Chameleon from the SSD it just reverts back to Clover. It boots fine with clover but the system is somewhat unstable and randomly reboots which is the reason why I want to use Chameleon. I have found Chameleon to be a lot more stable for my build so I want to stick with that. If someone can please help me diagnose this issue and perhaps resolve it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

I'm not able to install Chimera/Chameleon on SSD that already has Clover installed to it. My BIOS is set to boot the SSD MBR, but every time I install Chameleon or Chimera it doesn't boot Chameleon from the SSD it just reverts back to Clover. It boots fine with clover but the system is somewhat unstable and randomly reboots which is the reason why I want to use Chameleon. I have found Chameleon to be a lot more stable for my build so I want to stick with that. If someone can please help me diagnose this issue and perhaps resolve it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

To the cause of Clover instability: You probably have a bad config.plist...

But if you don't want to use Clover, remove it. Most boards prioritize UEFI boot, so if you have a UEFI bootloader installed (such as Clover), the BIOS will boot UEFI before trying an installed legacy bootloader such as Chimera/Chameleon.

To the cause of Clover instability: You probably have a bad config.plist...

But if you don't want to use Clover, remove it. Most boards prioritize UEFI boot, so if you have a UEFI bootloader installed (such as Clover), the BIOS will boot UEFI before trying an installed legacy bootloader such as Chimera/Chameleon.

Okay, how do I remove Clover? My SSD doesn't have a partition for UEFI so I'm a tad confused how it's booting it.

Okay, how do I remove Clover? My SSD doesn't have a partition for UEFI so I'm a tad confused how it's booting it.

All GPT disks have EFI. But it is hidden by Disk Utility and you need to mount it manually. A google search should help you find out how to mount EFI (Clover Configurator has such a feature, but there are many other ways).

I mounted the EFI partition and erased the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition. It still boots from clover and loads perfectly fine. I think it's because BOOTIA32.efi and BOOTX64.efi under the BOOT dir on the EFI partition and it's booting from another HDD.

I disabled ALL the HDDs in the BIOS except for the SSD and it's still booting Clover. Is it safe to delete everything in the EFI partition? Such as 'boot' in the root of EFI and EFI/APPLE or should I just delete /EFI/BOOT to remove Clover?

Thanks.

It appears that Clover is now removed because I can't boot into the machine without it giving me an error for 'b1f'. But it still isn't booting the installed Chimera boot loader. I'm attempting to reinstall the boot loader now but I don't think it will work because my BIOS is trying to boot UEFI even though I have it set for legacy boot on the SSD.

Will post back with results.

Well, reinstalling Chimera didn't work at all. It still tries to boot UEFI and gives me the
Code:
b1f: init 
b1f: error
text when it tries to boot from the SSD that is set in Legacy mode.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong and how I can resolve this? It's a MSI Z77 motherboard.

Well, reinstalling Chimera didn't work at all. It still tries to boot UEFI and gives me the
Code:
b1f: init 
b1f: error
text when it tries to boot from the SSD that is set in Legacy mode.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong and how I can resolve this? It's a MSI Z77 motherboard.

Have you tried changing your boot mode (in BIOS) from UEFI to Legacy?

-bth

There is no actual legacy mode, there is Legacy+UEFI. I set the option to Legacy+UEFI and then there are two modes to select the hard disk. Either with UEFI or "Hard Disk". I select Hard Disk for the Samsung SSD I have, save the changes and reboot and it appears to be booting directly into UEFI still.

I mounted the EFI partition and erased the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition. It still boots from clover and loads perfectly fine. I think it's because BOOTIA32.efi and BOOTX64.efi under the BOOT dir on the EFI partition and it's booting from another HDD.

I disabled ALL the HDDs in the BIOS except for the SSD and it's still booting Clover. Is it safe to delete everything in the EFI partition? Such as 'boot' in the root of EFI and EFI/APPLE or should I just delete /EFI/BOOT to remove Clover?

Thanks.

The Clover bootloader loads from /EFI/BOOTX64.efi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back