Contribute
Register

Chimera and 4k HDD boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding your earlier question about putting Chameleon on the EFI partition, there was this post in another thread about Boot0 errors:
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=36133&start=10

I did it that way -> http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... eleon.html and it works flawless. After that i moved my /Extra folder to the /Volumes/EFI partition and modified the boot.plist. My boot.plist now looks like this...

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>hd(0,1)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>hd(0,1)/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>

The disadvantage is, when installing anything with Multibeast later, it don't use the EFI partition. It installs to /Extra like before but not to /Volumes/EFI/Extra even the Efi partition is mounted
In this case you have to copy the installed kexts from /Extra/Extensions to /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions after mounting the EFI partition again, then drag'n'drop just the Extensions folder from /Volumes/EFI/Extra over Kext Utility to rebuild the kextcaches. A nice tool for mounting the EFI partition is EFI Mounter.

I also have tried the mach_kernel on the EFI partition,

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>hd(0,1)/mach_kernel</string>

but that was a bad idea, because when a new kernel is released with a combo update, it goes to /mach_kernel und won't be loaded because in boot.plist is the entry to load the kernel from the EFI partition So i reversed it

followed by this:

I would avoid the EFI partition though for dual boot systems.

I agree with your last quote...don't go there for a dual boot, i succeeded in completly messing up my whole installation!

I followed: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... eleon.html to the T until I got to the com.apple.boot.plist, it wasn't there, only a org.multibeast.plist, which I assumed was the new order. Well on reboot I just got kernel panic extreme. So I abandoned that for a game of soldiers.

Here's the thing... I can a HD Chimera boot into OSX without the Win7 partition and I can get both if I boot Chimera from the USB (UniBeast install one). Why on earth can't I get the same Chimera boot from the HD? I really thought that the issue was that Win 7 does not like it's partition being non-active (?) But then why when booting from USB is it OK?

Thats when it ocurred to me that the EFI method might just work... Wrong!

I'm still hacking at it. It's friday night and I should I think I should possibly get out more!

Cheers

Timeslice said:
...It's friday night and I should I think I should possibly get out more!

Cheers

yeah, me too!!

But now, if you haven't already done this, you should start a new thread regarding Chimera & your dual boot problem after you've exhausted searching for answers...

I installed DSDT & kext for dual monitors last night on one hack and this morning on a second hack- works great, except one small snag- I have audio pops in on hack after the update... analog only, the HDMI & optical audio is pristine. Don't know why it only affected one hack and not the other... everything is exactly the same on both, hardware and software...

I got a couple of hard drives on the way and I'm going to follow my own advice- Install Windows 7 on a separate drive.

Hi jwk.

Success... (Don't know why it feels like a mega victory!)

It turns out that all I had to do after manually installing boot1h with your method was to run MultiBeast again ( In my case I checked Chimera) in order to re instate OSX partiition as active or get it to boot to the hsf drive. it worked. all I have to figure out now is how to get the timer from stop it's auto count-down!

I posted this: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=54274&p=337437#p337437

Cheers

Nice work Timeslice... Stop Timer countdown? are you talking about chameleon? I think I understand- press the "up" arrow on your keyboard... if you want a longer countdown, you can edit your org.Chameleon.boot.plist- I believe it's the line that says:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

you can edit with TextEdit in Utilities folder

the file to edit is in root of your boot drive in the Extra folder.

I believe the value 2 in this case indicates the number of seconds to count down...

cheers!

jwk said:
Fixing the boot0: error (4k sector boot problem) on WD 'Advanced Format' Drives after installing Lion w Lion Installer USB drive

These instructions you have already installed Lion from a USB installer created as described on the tonymacx86 website: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... using.html

1) Reboot computer with Lion installer USB drive in USB port and go to boot menu (F12 key) - When boot menu appears, choose USB-HDD, and when the Lion Boot Screen appears, choose the Lion installer USB drive and boot to it.

2) Choose your Language and [return]. The Menu bar appears at the top of the screen.

3) From the Utilities menu choose Disk Utility. Highlight the drive you have just installed Lion on and Unmount it (either right-click on it and click 'Unmount' from the context menu, or click on the Unmount button at the top of Disk Utility.

4) From the Disk Utility menu, choose Quit Disk Utility.

5) From the Utilities menu, choose Terminal. Type diskutil list [return] and verify the Apple_HFS disk number and partition that you installed Lion on by identifying it's Volume Name (in my case the disk number is 0 and the partition is 2 = 0s2). This may be different in your installation and it is important that you get this correct.

6) In Terminal, change to the directory on your Lion installer where the boot1h file is ( /usr/standalone/i386/ ):

The name of my Lion Installer USB drive is: Lion 10.7.3 UniBeast 1.1.0 - because of this, the name in the path has an extra \ followed by a space where ever there is a space in the Lion Installer USB drive name when it is typed in the path:

Type the path** to boot1h into Terminal (No need to type in SUDO first- when you boot from the Lion installer USB drive you automatically have those rights.
Type: cd /Volumes/Lion\ 10.7.3\ UniBeast\ 1.1.0/usr/standalone/i386/ [return] Terminal will not echo the directory i386 that you've changed to on the command line like it normally would in a fully completed OS X installation).

** Note: In the above path, there is a space between cd and /Volumes, a space between /Lion\ and 10.7.3\, a space between 10.7.3\ and UniBeast\ and a space between UniBeast\ and 1.1.0/

7) Verify you are in the correct directory where boot1 is located by typing ls [return] into Terminal- this lists the files in the directory- you should see: EfiLoginUI, boot, boot.efi, boot0, boot0md, boot1h and tmbootpicker.efi. The only one you're interested in is boot1h. If you see this file, proceed to the next step.

8) Once you've verified that you're in the directory where boot1h is located, in Terminal type: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 [return]
The response in Terminal to this command will include something similar to this:

2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.088021 secs (11634 bytes/sec)
_bash_3.2#

9) In Terminal, type: exit [return] to logout of Terminal. From the Terminal menu, choose Quit Terminal.

10) From the Apple menu select Shut Down - After power is off, remove the Lion installer USB drive from the USB port.

11) When powering the computer back up, enter the BIOS Setup (DELETE key) at the BIOS splash screen and make sure boot device settings are correct to boot from your hard drive.

NOTE: These instructions are what has worked for me, and have not been endorsed by anyone officially at tonymacx86.com

I did work on my GA-Z68XP-UD3P with Lion 10.7.3 :headbang:

thanks MacMan
I love :p

jwk said:
Fixing the boot0: error (4k sector boot problem) on WD 'Advanced Format' Drives after installing Lion w Lion Installer USB drive

These instructions you have already installed Lion from a USB installer created as described on the tonymacx86 website: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... using.html

1) Reboot computer with Lion installer USB drive in USB port and go to boot menu (F12 key) - When boot menu appears, choose USB-HDD, and when the Lion Boot Screen appears, choose the Lion installer USB drive and boot to it.

2) Choose your Language and [return]. The Menu bar appears at the top of the screen.

3) From the Utilities menu choose Disk Utility. Highlight the drive you have just installed Lion on and Unmount it (either right-click on it and click 'Unmount' from the context menu, or click on the Unmount button at the top of Disk Utility.

4) From the Disk Utility menu, choose Quit Disk Utility.

5) From the Utilities menu, choose Terminal. Type diskutil list [return] and verify the Apple_HFS disk number and partition that you installed Lion on by identifying it's Volume Name (in my case the disk number is 0 and the partition is 2 = 0s2). This may be different in your installation and it is important that you get this correct.

6) In Terminal, change to the directory on your Lion installer where the boot1h file is ( /usr/standalone/i386/ ):

The name of my Lion Installer USB drive is: Lion 10.7.3 UniBeast 1.1.0 - because of this, the name in the path has an extra \ followed by a space where ever there is a space in the Lion Installer USB drive name when it is typed in the path:

Type the path** to boot1h into Terminal (No need to type in SUDO first- when you boot from the Lion installer USB drive you automatically have those rights.
Type: cd /Volumes/Lion\ 10.7.3\ UniBeast\ 1.1.0/usr/standalone/i386/ [return] Terminal will not echo the directory i386 that you've changed to on the command line like it normally would in a fully completed OS X installation).

** Note: In the above path, there is a space between cd and /Volumes, a space between /Lion\ and 10.7.3\, a space between 10.7.3\ and UniBeast\ and a space between UniBeast\ and 1.1.0/

7) Verify you are in the correct directory where boot1 is located by typing ls [return] into Terminal- this lists the files in the directory- you should see: EfiLoginUI, boot, boot.efi, boot0, boot0md, boot1h and tmbootpicker.efi. The only one you're interested in is boot1h. If you see this file, proceed to the next step.

8) Once you've verified that you're in the directory where boot1h is located, in Terminal type: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 [return]
The response in Terminal to this command will include something similar to this:

2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.088021 secs (11634 bytes/sec)
_bash_3.2#

9) In Terminal, type: exit [return] to logout of Terminal. From the Terminal menu, choose Quit Terminal.

10) From the Apple menu select Shut Down - After power is off, remove the Lion installer USB drive from the USB port.

11) When powering the computer back up, enter the BIOS Setup (DELETE key) at the BIOS splash screen and make sure boot device settings are correct to boot from your hard drive.

NOTE: These instructions are what has worked for me, and have not been endorsed by anyone officially at tonymacx86.com

I tried this and it half worked for me. I have windows 7 and Lion installed on two separate partitions. My problem before this was that the computer would just boot right into windows 7 and I would need to boot from my usb to be able to select to boot Lion.

Now the opposite happens: my computer boots right into Lion without giving me the option to boot windows 7. Any idea why this would be happening and how I can fix it?

d3chapma said:
I tried this and it half worked for me. I have windows 7 and Lion installed on two separate partitions. My problem before this was that the computer would just boot right into windows 7 and I would need to boot from my usb to be able to select to boot Lion.

Now the opposite happens: my computer boots right into Lion without giving me the option to boot windows 7. Any idea why this would be happening and how I can fix it?

This thread is mainly for boot problems related to 4k drives and OS X installations... I think you will be more successful searching for a resolution to your dual boot problem in these threads:

Dual Boot Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard Using Chameleon
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

Dual Boot Success with 4K issues and how I did it
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=54274

cheers

Thanks alot for the code lines.
Fixed my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back