Contribute
Register

Chimera 4.1 Injects Intel HD 5500 Graphics on Broadwell BRIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
buying this was a terrible decision & i have destroyed everything i hold dear

buying this was a terrible decision & i have destroyed everything i hold dear

Early adopter angst is what you're going through, happens to almost everyone. We know from
Tonymac's report that the HD5500 gfx are supported by Chimera & OS X. That's the first hurdle.
Are you having problems with things other than the audio noise ? Until more people buy these and
write some detailed user builds to follow the Brix running Yosemite will be a hit or miss proposition.

Are you having problems with things other than the audio noise ?
It pretty much freezes constantly on a drive that boots and runs flawlessly on my haswell hack. And it's always something different. Plug in iPhone -> crash, press volume button on keyboard -> crash, open iTunes -> crash. It seemed to be working pretty well for a little though, I'm not sure what happened to mess it up. I'll probably start fresh again when I get time.

It pretty much freezes constantly on a drive that boots and runs flawlessly on my haswell hack. And it's always something different. Plug in iPhone -> crash, press volume button on keyboard -> crash, open iTunes -> crash. It seemed to be working pretty well for a little though, I'm not sure what happened to mess it up. I'll probably start fresh again when I get time.

Sounds like you'll need to adjust the DVMT Pre-allocated memory size in the bios before doing
a fresh install. I would start with 64 MB and then work up from their to see which one will give
you the most stability. Let us know how the clean install goes :thumbup:

Sounds like you'll need to adjust the DVMT Pre-allocated memory size in the bios before doing
a fresh install. I would start with 64 MB and then work up from their to see which one will give
you the most stability. Let us know how the clean install goes :thumbup:

I have the BXi5H-5200. I cloned my desktop 10.10 install because I'm a web developer and I have a ton of server stuff spread throughout it. After cloning I wiped S/L/E, installed the 10.10.3 combo update, ran Multibeast with Chimera 4.1 and it's been running fine.

I have my DVMT set to 64 MB. Is there any advantage to going higher?

Interestingly though, the memory is shown as '16 GB 0 Mhz RAM'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 10.28.22.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 10.28.22.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 154
Your system overview says you've got 1024 MB of Vram so that is fine. Not sure why you're
ram is reporting a 0MHz frequency. Maybe Tonymacx86 could help you out on that one as
he has a Brix.

I tried booting with Chameleon option UseMemDetect=No, now it reports the correct 1600 Mhz RAM speed.

Hi Tony..

Can you share the install instructions.

Thanks

We got this little unit for testing a few months back, but kernel support was not in OS X. As of OS X 10.10.3, Broadwell CPU and graphics are now supported. MacMan's addition of CPU support and IGPU injection using the new Chimera 4.1 has allowed the Gigabyte Broadwell BRIX to boot perfectly and without any bootloader configuration.

The only issue with this little box is the M.2 slot Intel BT/WIFI card , which unlike mPCIe slots has no existing alternate to swap in. We're thinking that a Broadcom version will come along soon, but for now the Realtek ethernet is the only method of networking. (EDIT: M.2 replacement card info)

Gigabyte Core i5-5200U Ultra Compact Mini PC Barebone (GB-BXi5H-5200)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UTIBDZ4/

Related:
tonymacx86's Album: Gigabyte Broadwell BRIX
OS X 10.10.3 Update
Chimera 4.1 Update
View attachment 134377View attachment 134378This device has HDMI or eDP video outputs. Dual screens works.

View attachment 134389
Note on BIOS setting DVMT Pre-Allocated (Fixed) Graphics memory size.

Settings are as follows:
32M
64M
128M
192M
256M
320M
384M
448M
512M
1024M
2016M

Works fine when using 64MB, 192MB, 320MB, 384MB, 448MB, 2016MB.

Default used by Gigabyte is 128MB, and that doesn't work- white/black flashing screen.

The other choices: 192MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB give varying degrees of garbled screen.
32MB gives kernel panic on BDWGraphicsFramebuffer kext.

Hmm. So the Brix is suffering from GPU restarts causing the screen to freeze.

I've tried setting
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>16160002</string>

based on http://www.firewolf.science/2015/04/guide-intel-hd-graphics-5500-on-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3/

and using FakeSMC v5.3.820.

Here’s a sample from the console log:

Event: GPU Reset
Data/Time: Wed May 20 15:53:22 2015
Application:
Path:
OS Version: Mac OS X Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)
Graphics Hardware: Intel HD Graphics 5500
Signature: 823

Report Data:

===========================================================================
Intel GPU Hang Summary
version 1.1.0
===========================================================================

BDW Graphics is running in Execlist mode
Scheduler interface revision 1
Processing hang for hardware context ID[3]

— Summary of Status for ALL Rings —
MAIN Ring is hung in the ring <– ROOT CAUSE!
MEDIA Ring is NOT enabled
BLIT Ring is idle
VEBOX Ring is NOT enabled
MEDIA2 Ring is NOT enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back