'/EFI64/' {
  i\
Yes
}
'/EFI64/' !{
  i\
No
}'

I have no idea how this works, but that's pretty cool. Looks like I'll be able to run it no problem :headbang:

Hi guys!

Well, this test says "Yes" for me, but I am still pretty much confused if Mountain Lion is OK for me.

The problem is, I am still using a few 32-bit programs - like the drivers for my old flatbed A3 scanner, a few old Photoshop plugins, may be some other "vintage" stuff. Will these programs run on Mountain Lion??

Many thanks for your comments!

loosy said:
To check if you can run Mountain Lion or not run the following script:
er, is this the same as Apple logo>About this Mac...>More Info...>System Report>Software then check for "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes" ?

I had "Computer says No" until I checked my 'org.chameleon.Boot.plist' which had arch=i386.
I removed that entry, restarted and now "Computer says Yes" :headbang:

I have a vague recall that it was in there for a reason a long time ago but cant remember why :? (on Acer Aspire 6920G multi-boot with too many other os's :rolleyes: )

Only did that an hour ago but everything seems to be working. At least usb, sound, wifi and ethernet and my main apps which is good enough for me now.
Mountain Lion - bring it on :mrgreen:

Anyone have a list of 32bit only apps which will def not be working after update?

You won't be able to install it if your cpu and mobo do not support 64bit mode and most of us have new components in our pc's so there will be no problem with installing it.Just be sure to remove arch=i386 from org.chameleon.And if you have core 2 duo and above cpu's like core i "x" series which most of us have there will be no problem.You will be able to run ML like Lion :)
P.S.I think I still have 32 bit apps ? Can someone tell me ? :)
mo8Vm.png

@velislav25: skype, steermouse, little snitch and tunnelblick my vpn all do not say 64 bit but are still working on lion.

i see that there is a version of little snitch for ML only and i assume that skype will not get left behind. tunnelblick and steermouse say they will run on ML as they are under 64bit.
maybe they will say 64bit then or do they need to?
i am still not sure about the 64bit part of ML but doesn't seem to be any worries for any reasonably new hardware.
just after i clicked the submit button i found this quote rom steermouse
“ML supports 32 and 64 bit applications, but it does not support 32 bit kexts. SteerMouse consists of a 32 bit application and a 64 bit kext.”
that seems to be the thing to check then.
so how to tell if a kext is 32 or 64bit?

I'm concerned more about hardware than software. Specifically, I am using a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard/mouse combo that I really like, using the Voodoo PS/2 kext from Multibeast 3.9.1, which is 32 bit only, to run Snow Leopard. When I try to change to a 64bit boot by deleting arch=i386 from org.chameleon.Boot.plist, the keyboard quits functioning.

I know, I know, I know. Get with the program and buy a bluetooth keyboard. It's what I did for my real Macs. And my wife doesn't know the difference. But all Mac bluetooth keyboards that I have ever seen just plain suck. Even the $150 Logitech is subpar. (IMHO, of course, but there you go....)

Anybody know how to get a PS/2 keyboard working in a 64bit environment?

I'm running in 32-bit mode - if i remove arch=386 from the plist, do i have to repair permissions? im getting stuck on grey apple screen with swirling/loading symbol after editing and rebooting.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back