Contribute
Register

Cheapest, basic, entry-level natively supported PCIe GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is one of those posts where the title pretty much says it all. ;-0

I'm looking for the cheapest, basic spec PCIe GPU that will be natively recognised my macOS with no clover work on config changes. It's for general desktop use.

Suggestions much appreciated. Obviously older cards are fine, I can try my luck on eBay.

Many thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Here's the Quadro K600 on Ebay.

Has native support in Catalina. Support may end there. May also need a full size DP to HDMI adapter.

Do you mean PCIe instead of a legacy PCI slot ?
Apologies, you're absolutely right. PCIe. I've edited my original post in the name of accuracy for future searchers.

Here's the Quadro K600 on Ebay.

Has native support in Catalina. Support may end there. May also need a full size DP to HDMI adapter.
That looks perfect, thanks. Currently we run DVI so it having a DVI-out is great. I've never heard of the model before tbh but it looks cheap enough to try.

I've never heard of the model before tbh but it looks cheap enough to try.
I think that Apple has retained support all these years (6 now) for classic Mac Pro owners that need basic graphics for their towers. As you know, Xeons don't include any integrated graphics so a discrete gfx card is mandatory.

One nice feature is the inclusion of DP 1.2. You can power a single 4K/60Hz display from that output. Not bad for a 20 dollar investement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back