EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone

My latest Hackintosh build uses an EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper for graphics. I already have two monitors but am thinking about adding another two as I do a lot of graphic design work, and was wondering...

I don't want to pay $700 more for two DVI ports. Is it possible to get an 8400GS to use just for the extra ports? Or do both graphics cards have to be identical?

Thanks

hcetech

They better be identical if you intent to opt for SLI.For multiple monitor you actually could use other one but i would go for an identical one for more power.Though only for display it wouldn't matter if I used a different one.

jabirbin said:
They better be identical if you intent to opt for SLI.For multiple monitor you actually could use other one but i would go for an identical one for more power.Though only for display it wouldn't matter if I used a different one.

Sorry if I am being stupid... but SLI doesn't work on OS X, does it? I do use Windows but all my serious work is on OS X so I can't justify dropping that much money. Can you not just use the cheap GPU to provide ports but have all the graphics legwork done on the 580?

hcetech said:
Sorry if I am being stupid... but SLI doesn't work on OS X, does it? I do use Windows but all my serious work is on OS X so I can't justify dropping that much money. Can you not just use the cheap GPU to provide ports but have all the graphics legwork done on the 580?

I think you can use cheap ones.

Though I remember of reading somewhere about SLI to work on osx86.I maybe wrong.

On the side note if I were to do serious CG works I'd use windows to juice out the most of my hardware & I do.

jabirbin said:
I think you can use cheap ones.

Though I remember of reading somewhere about SLI to work on osx86.I maybe wrong.

On the side note if I were to do serious CG works I'd use windows to juice out the most of my hardware & I do.

Any idea where you might have read that? Could come in handy... I prefer OS X TBH

there is quite a bit of info on getting multiple nvidia cards working on the aquamac forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back