Contribute
Register

Charlee's first G5 hack (edited to show pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
Well! Today was a good day for me! I striked a good deal on a brand new I5 6600k! Like half the price of newegg.ca!

I took my time installing it because that's the most stressful part for me. I also installed the noctua cooler, that thing is a beast!

One thing I would like your opinions on, should I add a fan directly on the cooler? I'm planning to run the cpu at 4ghz, i know it's a small overclock but it will still run hotter. What do you guys think?

View attachment 249181 View attachment 249182 View attachment 249183 View attachment 249184 View attachment 249181 Well! Today was a good day for me! I striked a good deal on a brand new I5 6600k! Like half the price of newegg.ca!

I took my time installing it because that's the most stressful part for me. I also installed the noctua cooler, that thing is a beast!

One thing I would like your opinions on, should I add a fan directly on the cooler? I'm planning to run the cpu at 4ghz, i know it's a small overclock but it will still run hotter. What do you guys think?
I would personally run a fan directly on the cpu heatsink, though you could also just try it and see what happens without it. CPUs have pretty great thermal cutoffs, so just run some synthetic loads (any CPU benchmark should be fine) and see if the system runs hotter than you want or completely shuts down. Add the fan if necessary.

(Late reply) but I actually have the same cooler and run two fans on it, one on each side. It keeps my CPU phenomenally cool, and since the CPU fans run around ~500rpm, they are very quiet.

I just realized Sierra OS is needed with that video card. I'm gonna use my wife's iMac with unibeast to create the usb installer but I was wondering, if someone only has older macs, is there a way to get sierra anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back