Contribute
Register

Charlee's first G5 hack (edited to show pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could probably make your own Kext using Xcode if it doesn't work i think OS X/macOS doesn't have support for IDE devices but could always try it.

I've never created kexts, in fact I've never really played with hackintoshes. I might just buy a new dvd drive, it would be easier and faster...

I bought two of these back in 2015 to convert two LG IDE DVD burners I had lying around to work in SATA only computers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBM6O4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

One is sitting in my old HP MicroServer, that used to occasionally run OS X Server, and one in my old G5 Hackintosh that hasn't run macOS since El Capitan and now serves as my Windows gaming rig. It seemed to work just fine in both Yosemite and El Capitan from what I can remember. I think I had to set the jumpers on my DVD drives or change a setting in my BIOS to get them to work 100%. I'll have a quick double check for you tomorrow, or just help you if you run into any trouble later.

As for macOS recognizing your specific DVD drive, assuming it is the same IDE DVD burner that originally came with your G5 and long as your BIOS picks it up with the adapter at boot, you should be just fine in macOS.

Just a quick word of warning. That adapter you linked to earlier at cooldrives.com was for a 44-pin 2.5" IDE drive found in old laptops, which is a very different physical size IDE connector to the regular 40-pin 3.5" IDE hard drives and optical drives found in desktops.

Ok, this is more what I had in mind:
View attachment 243384

Just a note -

I used a IDE to SATA - Vantek CB-IS100, source Fry’s Electronics, in late 2010 on a G4 Cube original DVD drive. Seen here:

9-cSystem-WO-Bottom-Panel.jpg

While this worked, the DVD drive was single layer and many of the DVD’s that I wanted to use were double layer (such as the 10.6.3 Apple OS Retail distribution).

In the next pass I upgraded the DVD drive to a double layer RW SATA version.

Good modding,

neil

Just a quick word of warning. That adapter you linked to earlier at cooldrives.com was for a 44-pin 2.5" IDE drive found in old laptops, which is a very different physical size IDE connector to the regular 40-pin 3.5" IDE hard drives and optical drives found in desktops.

Hey! thanks for the info, I have an enclosure with my dual layer drive in it that I needed to disassemble but now it can wait until I'm ready to put it in my G5.

While this worked, the DVD drive was single layer and many of the DVD’s that I wanted to use were double layer

Neil, thanks for the input, do you know if that adapter would work with dual layer burner? because the drive I want to use is one of them. In fact it's the only reason I want to keep it.

Hey! thanks for the info, I have an enclosure with my dual layer drive in it that I needed to disassemble but now it can wait until I'm ready to put it in my G5.

Neil, thanks for the input, do you know if that adapter would work with dual layer burner? because the drive I want to use is one of them. In fact it's the only reason I want to keep it.

Well IMHO the adapter can not tell anything about the device that you attach it to other then the compliance of the IO interfaces involved. So yes, it should work with a double layer DVD drive.

Good modding,
neil

Alright, thanks. I'll let you guys know when I go forward with the project. Winter was a little bit hard on me money wise so it'll take a couple of weeks before I actually buy parts to complete my rig.Can't wait to install El Capitan and do some benchmark tests!!

Btw if you find a SATA DVD drive that'll work with OSX itll fit perfectly in the same slot as the original IDE one. You just have to swap the faceplate off of the DVD tray itself and it'll work perfectly as the original one did. That's what I did, but you have to make sure you find a OSX compatible one. But it'll work with the case slot just fine.

IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
Hey guys! Just to give some life to this thread I'll show you the little I did today.

I finished installing the custom front usb 3.0 hub. I kind of had problems routing the wires so I had to bend the back plate a bit in the top right corner but I prefer that instead of wires going everywhere.

I also found a dual layer sata burner I had laying in my scrap pile so here it is installed in my rig.

I also ran splitter wires for the 2 upper fans.

Tell me what you think!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back