AMD 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just got a new motherboard and I'm looking for some advice on how to go about setting up the boot drive. My old system was on the GA-z68xp-ud3, which obviously had a DSDT. My new motherboard is the GA-B75M-D3P, which shouldn't need a DSDT. Is there anyway to keep the boot drive the same and just remove the DSDT? Thanks for the help.

Your initial considerations are DSDT, audio and ethernet. And any boot flags that you placed in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

DSDT - boot with DSDT=null and go to the /Extra folder and delete the DSDT.aml file.

Audio - your old board had ALC889 and the new board has ALC887. Once you are booted, go to the /System/Library/Extensions folder and delete all ALC* and HDA* files. Then run Multibeast and install ALC887.

Ethernet - old board had Realtek RTL8111E and the new board has Realtek RTL8111DP. These use the same driver that you should have installed from Multibeast previously.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist - it would really help if you knew what modifications you made to that file in case you need to counteract them on boot and to ultimately change them if needed.

Ok need a little more help on this subject. I did everything mentioned above and was able to boot into my ML drive. I deleted the DSDT as well as the audio plist files. Then I, not really thinking, turned off the machine without running multi beast. Now i can't boot into ML. I get to the apple logo with the swirling logo at the bottom and it never gets past that. I followed the same instructions and was able to boot to my lion drive. I have not deleted anything on the Lion drive. From within Lion I tried to move the DSDT file into the extras folder on the ML drive, restarted to that drive, and did the same DSDT=null. Again it still got to the apple logo swirling at the bottom. My Lion drive is pretty much up to date because I have most of my apps on a regular hard drive. I would rather have my ML drive up and running, but I could always clone Lion, update and get to ML that way. Unless someone has any other advice??? Thanks

Ok need a little more help on this subject. I did everything mentioned above and was able to boot into my ML drive. I deleted the DSDT as well as the audio plist files. Then I, not really thinking, turned off the machine without running multi beast. Now i can't boot into ML. I get to the apple logo with the swirling logo at the bottom and it never gets past that. I followed the same instructions and was able to boot to my lion drive. I have not deleted anything on the Lion drive. From within Lion I tried to move the DSDT file into the extras folder on the ML drive, restarted to that drive, and did the same DSDT=null. Again it still got to the apple logo swirling at the bottom. My Lion drive is pretty much up to date because I have most of my apps on a regular hard drive. I would rather have my ML drive up and running, but I could always clone Lion, update and get to ML that way. Unless someone has any other advice??? Thanks

You still have your ML UniBeast installer USB drive?

Put ML drive in Lion machine, boot Lion. Launch finder, open ML drive, delete /Extra folder.
Navigate to S/L/E and delete any HDA files (applehda, hdaenabler, voodoohda, etc. )
eject and disconnect the ML drive or shutdown and disconnect it, whichever you need to do and move it to its home machine.
Boot the UniBeast USB and select the ML drive to boot. Run MB to install post install files.

Thanks for the help. I think I must have deleted something in the extensions folder that I should not have. Like I said everything I need is on a 3rd drive so I'm in the process of cloning my Lion drive to my ML drive and then I'm just going to update to ML again and I'll be good. I should have made a clone of ML before I did anything, but at least I have a recent Lion version to fall back on. Thanks again GoingBald.

This should be a sticky! :thumbup:
I'm sure it happens to a lot of people to change their mobo: myself, now that I'm doing my first build, have to return my board to Amazon 'cause they sold me the wrong Rev, and I decided to buy another model, more compatible, so I was wondering if there was any risk to screw up my OSX with a different DSDT.
Thank all of you for the answers you gave! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back