Graphics
Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I should actually say I did two things that which have caused this issue. In preparation for the Sierra update (I still haven't installed it yet, I'm on El Capitan), I changed my system definition to iMac 14,2 and also updated Clover. When I updated Clover, I also moved FakeSMC.kext into the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on my EFI partition of the boot drive. Now, when I boot, after the Apple logo I get a black screen followed by a reboot. If I boot in safe mode, I'll get as far as the blurred background image shown on the login screen, then a black screen and reboot. I backed up my boot drive before making this change, but I cannot boot into the backup either.

My specs in my profile are accurate.

These are the things I have tried:
  • Booting in safe/verbose mode
  • Booting from a backup partition in safe/verbose mode
  • Ignoring kernel cache
  • Changing my system definition manually in Clover to MacPro3,1 (which it was originally)
  • Changing my system definition and board definition to MacPro 3,1
  • Booting from a vanilla Clover install on a USB stick and trying all of the above
  • Booting the OSX Recovery partition (gets stuck on a grey screen)
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to rectify this situation? I thought I had my bases covered when I backed up but I guess not. I've attached some screenshots of what verbose mode is displaying at the end.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I changed my graphics injector to Duckweed (and disabled the ATI injector) in Clover, and now I'm able to boot, and login with no problems.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 12.29.14 PM.png

Getting stuck at the "almost login" screen

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 12.28.05 PM.png

Verbose mode

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 12.30.05 PM.png

Verbose mode

Last edited:
I should actually say I did two things that which have caused this issue. In preparation for the Sierra update (I still haven't installed it yet, I'm on El Capitan), I changed my system definition to iMac 14,2 and also updated Clover. When I updated Clover, I also moved FakeSMC.kext into the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on my EFI partition of the boot drive. Now, when I boot, after the Apple logo I get a black screen followed by a reboot. If I boot in safe mode, I'll get as far as the blurred background image shown on the login screen, then a black screen and reboot. I backed up my boot drive before making this change, but I cannot boot into the backup either.

My specs in my profile are accurate.

These are the things I have tried:
  • Booting in safe/verbose mode
  • Booting from a backup partition in safe/verbose mode
  • Ignoring kernel cache
  • Changing my system definition manually in Clover to MacPro3,1 (which it was originally)
  • Booting from a vanilla Clover install on a USB stick and trying all of the above
  • Booting the OSX Recovery partition (gets stuck on a grey screen)
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to rectify this situation? I thought I had my bases covered when I backed up but I guess not. I've attached some screenshots of what verbose mode is displaying at the end.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I changed my graphics injector to Duckweed (and disabled the ATI injector) in Clover, and now I'm able to boot, and login with no problems.

View attachment 211227

Getting stuck at the "almost login" screen

View attachment 211226

Verbose mode

View attachment 211228

Verbose mode
Hi,

I have the exact same issue; tried sierra update from yosemite steps & changing my profile from mac pro6,1 to imac14,2 caused me black screen.

Can you teach me how you did following when you cannot boot into mac os x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back