i5-4690K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
hi guys
i have tried to update my maverick to high sierra or sierra and the install package says "cannot be installed on this machine".
i think it is because the designation is mac pro 3.1 late 2008.
i built this unit in 2012 and it has worked fine up to now. some of the basics need to be updated but cannot be because maverick is 10.9.5.
the original build with one hiccup was great and thanks to our community that hiccup was resolved.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

machine is
mobo GAZ77N wifi
CPU intel core i5 3.4ghz
memory 8gb 1600mhz ddr3
graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB on board

i have tried to update my maverick to high sierra or sierra and the install package says "cannot be installed on this machine".
i think it is because the designation is mac pro 3.1 late 2008.
The standard SMBIOS choice was iMac 14,2 back when HS came out in 2017. You could change to that or even iMac 13,2 if you'd like. 13,2 was Ivy Bridge based like your Z77N system.

These are the Mac desktops that have support in High Sierra:
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

Hi trs96
thanks for the quick reply.
even after all this time I am still a noob.
is it possible to point me, via a link, to somewhere on the forums where it explains how to
make these changes?

the reason I ask this is the current setup will not allow a change to this later OS.
if I change these settings on my current machine will it stop the machine working? I obviously need this current machine to help setup the new drive.

thanks in advance.

lesli

Last edited:
if I change these settings on my current machine will it stop the machine working?
Mavericks came out in 2013 so the iMac 13,2 SMBIOS (2012) should work with Mavericks.

The best approach would be to leave the Mavericks drive alone, and clean install HS to a new, unused SSD.

New 2.5" Sata SSDs are super low cost these days. Get one with a larger capacity than what you have now.

Last edited:
Hi trs96
now you have hit the nub
the Mac Pro 3.1 will only let me download Sierra but it does not put it into applications but you can drag it there manually but it is not recognised by unibeast.
if you unpack it the message is it cannot be installed on this machine.
because of this I cannot see how I can get a “clean” install as I cannot get the system to recognise or allow any later version.
i may have a version of lion previously used so if I can get that going can I then pick a later version of smbios.

excuse me being a pest.

lesli

the Mac Pro 3.1 will only let me download Sierra
Use GibMacOS and you can download HS 10.13.6 follow the 2nd video guide in that post.

Last edited:
Hi trs96
executing glbMacOS.command gave the following result.
================================================
Last login: Wed Jul 13 15:32:38 on ttys000
maverick:~ 3$ /Users/3/Downloads/gibMacOS-master/gibMacOS.command ; exit;
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/3/Downloads/gibMacOS-master/gibMacOS.py", line 563, in <module>
g = gibMacOS()
File "/Users/3/Downloads/gibMacOS-master/gibMacOS.py", line 7, in __init__
self.d = downloader.Downloader()
File "/Users/3/Downloads/gibMacOS-master/Scripts/downloader.py", line 18, in __init__
cafile = ssl.get_default_verify_paths().openssl_cafile
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'get_default_verify_paths'
logout

[Process completed]

=================================================

As you can see it did not go well. I have tried glbmacos on another mac, running Lion, and that did not work either. it is a brain tease.
i have managed to download, from apple, sierra which does show up in /applications but unibeast does not allow me to click on it when trying to make the boot USB. it does allow me to select the usb but not sierra in the next step.

Thanks in advance lesli

I have tried glbmacos on another mac, running Lion, and that did not work either.
When running UniBeast on Lion (OS X 10.7), you must be running OS X 10.7.5 with the OS X Lion 10.7.5 Supplemental Update installed.

As you can see it did not go well.
First read all the Unibeast troubleshooting notes. If you still can't make it work, post in the appropriate Unibeast forum for help. I've used gibMacOS and Unibeast on Mavericks and it has always worked for me.

Last edited:
Hi trs96
i have read the document you suggested and the link in item 21 does not work. It says oops cannot be found.

i have followed all the suggestions, including deleting previous downloads etc, and it still will not let me select an os. I have not yet contacted the clover forum.

As the machine is designated Mac Pro 3,1 LGA 775 is it possible to, using multibeast for maverick, change the machine status to iMac 12,2 LGA1155? Would it then select ivy bridge itself? This should then show the glbmacos that it is a later machine and maybe then it would work.
is there anything else that, if this was changed, would need changing, to make the system keep working?

once again thanks for your time

lesli

is it possible to, using multibeast for maverick, change the machine status to iMac 12,2 LGA1155? Would it then select ivy bridge itself? This should then show the glbmacos that it is a later machine and maybe then it would work.
You could use MultiBeast to change that. I would try iMac13,2 as those were Ivy Bridge based iMacs. Give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back