Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone for making Hackintoshes so awesome. I installed mine about 12 months ago, and it was super easy and has worked superbly ever since. It works pretty much like native, with the only problems I've had being not having working PS2 keyboard and not being able to use HDMI sound. (I've not investigated recently to see if I can now fix those!)

Anyway, my main issue! :

I installed 10.8 using Multibeast on my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard, using an AMD Radeon 5850.

I have now upgraded to an NVidia GTX 760 - specifically an MSI "Twin Frozr Overclocked" GTX 760.

I did a bit of Googling, and I found several people saying that it would just be plug and play, and that the drivers needed would already be on the OS. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me.

When I boot I get the Bootloader, then I select OSX and get the Apple logo on the grey background. That then disappears very quickly, replaced with a black screen - and the monitor then goes into power saving. I get no picture at all from that point onwards.

I can tell that the OS does continue to boot OK. The hard drive light flashes for a while, then stops after a while. When it had stopped flashing and appeared to be booted, I used a keyboard shortcut to bring up Alfred (a Spotlight replacement, amongst many other things) and typed 'shutdown', and sure enough the PC shut down shortly after.

So I'm confident that the OS is booting and is functional, just with no display output.

So do I now need to make a new Multibeast USB stick and re-install the drivers from there? I remember booting with Multibeast and installing some drivers the first time I installed the OS. But before trying that I wanted to double check if there was any special steps required or anything specific to the GTX 760 before I proceeded.

Also, I did wonder if because the OS is booted OK and I should be able to SSH and SCP into it, whether that might help - maybe I can copy some drivers over to the booted OS and then move them into place, rather than booting with Multibeast? I don't know if that would be any easier, but it occurred to me it might be an option.

Thanks very much in advance!

Minor update - I read on an installation guide that I might need my graphics card in PCI-E slot 1, and mine was not. So I moved it there. I also made sure that my BIOS was set to initialise PCI-E slot 1 first (saw that on this forum.)

That changed things, but seemingly not for the better. Now I get the apple logo and instead of a black screen / monitor going into standby, I get a permanent grey screen. This is worse, because it appears to not actually boot the OS this time - I can't do what I did before and cause it to shutdown using keyboard shortcuts. The keyboard is active - hitting Capslock enables the light - but there's no sign that OSX has completed booting.

I booted in Verbose mode, but there weren't any obvious errors - I didn't get a huge amount of text before I got the grey screen again.

I'm not really sure how to proceed. I realised that Multibeast is something I run within OSX itself, so how can I install new drivers when I can't boot the OS? I could try going back to my old graphics card, but the reason I upgraded was that the old card was basically dead, so it's unlikely I'll manage to boot it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I needed GraphicsEnabler=No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back