Contribute
Register

Chameleon crashes/reboots when a USB hard disk is attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
{ shine } said:
I'm using ATI experimental too and I've problems not in boot but in REBOOT phase.

I boot, all work fine, I enter in mac and I use it normally BUT if I try to reboot the system restart, bios logo, at this point keyboard don't work, and start of mac require 5-8 minutes, after that the graphics is very very slow, keyboard don't run (I use extended USB keyboard of apple), mouse don't work, all seem freezed...

This is a very strange behaviour...

Have you any suggestions ?

Warm regards,
SHINE
That's another problem, please create a new thread for your issue

I'm sorry if i can't help you to solve your issue. A new chimera is out (Chimera 1.4.1 Update). You can download the standalone installer from the downloadpage. Try this

Hint: If i use an USB thunb or an USB HD w/o a valid MBR, my machine will hang if i power on the computer...it won't go past the BIOS POST screen...the machine hangs and only switching the computer off and disconnect the USB device helps in this case. It might be your USB HD is missing a valid MBR, you can get past the BIOS POST screen but chimera take notice of that and reboots. Just a thought...

...If you have more than one partition on the USB drive, i suggest you re-partitioned it with just one partition. If you want to use it in Windows also, choose one partition with MS-DOS Fat format and under options select MBR (Master Boot Record)

I hope this helps you or somebody out. I was having the same issue with my external drive. If connected, i would see the spinning / in the left corner then flash, and reboot. Without the drive connected it reached the os choice menu and booted fine. It had nothing to do with kext, or multibeast options. I unplugged the drive while it was on the spinning / and got an ebios read error and figured its trying to read a boot partition. Ono of the partitions on my drive was s windows backup partition. I went into windows and repaired the drive and after that chameleon had no problems booting even with the drive connected. So for me at least it was locking up on a corrupted ntfs partition.

Tempest619

Okay, this workaround below works, but the solution I have found and executed and found working like a charm is at: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

Best of Luck!

I have exactly the same issue. The USB Drive is rebooting my machine, as well as my USB Drive is unable to boot Chimera itself.

On my internal drive i have added code to direct chimera not to detect additional drives.

I have added

Code:
	<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

to the Boot.plist in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist so it skips looking for additional drives. This works for me as Chimera will only look local and boot local but Mac OS X will add the USB Drive anyway!

Hope this works for you guys as well as it did for me!

Best of Luck.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    737 bytes · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back