i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I had a APFS formatted SSD with Mojave and was gonna Carbon Copy Clone it to another APFS formatted SSD. At the end of the CCC process at the "Updating boot caches" the cursor, computer froze ( have had this happen few times before , but only working on apfs formatted disks ). This time the SSD I was cloning the Mojave partition to disappeared and there is no way for me to get it back. Have tried on a real Macbook air via USB dongle, windows ,,,. Looks like its gone forever :(.

So beware when doing CCC on a apfs formatted SSD´s. I have reformatted all my SSD as Mac OS Extended now.

Two things you can do to rescue the SSD - boot into windows and try some of their disk utilities.
reformat the SSD via terminal.

I have tried both, neither the BIOS , nor the Windows Disk Manager see´s the SSD. It just dont show up no matter what I do.

I would say it's more of an end of the life of SSD rather than APFS or CCC fault.

Try cycling power on SSD, it's proven to be a working way to bring back to life SSDs

Try Google-ing for that and you might find useful informations.

Well then it was short lived :). Bought it new at B&H photo about 1 week ago.

I have tried both, neither the BIOS , nor the Windows Disk Manager see´s the SSD. It just dont show up no matter what I do.

Try running some S.M.A.R.T diagnostics on the drive .... it might give you a clue as to what has happened. I use DriveDX on MacOS which you can download a demo of from :-

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

The drive should not fail like that after just a week .... so maybe a faulty drive ?

Cheers
Jay

Try running some S.M.A.R.T diagnostics on the drive .... it might give you a clue as to what has happened. I use DriveDX on MacOS which you can download a demo of from :-

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

The drive should not fail like that after just a week .... so maybe a faulty drive ?

Cheers
Jay

The trouble is , I already reformatted all my drives as Mac Os extended journaled, Guid partition,,,,,

I have been setting up my Hackintosh last days and , I have setup a windows , Mac OS , reformatted back and forth since starting this project. But for now I´m not using any APFS formatted disk anymore, I wrote to CCC about this and was told that CCC could not cause this to happen with the SSD drive , This might be some glitch because of something only related to the hackintosh process, I dont know, but anyway this has only ever happened to me when CCC a APFS partitions ( freezing at the end of the process along with this one SSD destroyed ). Everything is working fine now with all my disks as Mac Os Extended Journaled, no problems with CCC back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back