Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Catallina install stuck at PCI configuration end after a few ACPI errors and exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all.

I'm trying to get started with a new installation of Catalina on a new laptop and the boot stops at "[ PCI configuration end, bridges 5, devices 20 ]" (as can be seen in the attached screenshots) but before that it also gives some ACPI errors and exceptions.

P_20200214_160556.jpg
P_20200214_160603.jpg

The laptop is an ASUS UX580GE with i7-8750H, UHD630 + 1050Ti, 8Gb, 1Tb NVME Samsung P981.

I attached the EFI archive of the USB stick I use and includes a fresh clover ACPI dump.

Any hints on how to fix this and make it to installer screen are appreciated.

Best regards

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Hello all.

I'm trying to get started with a new installation of Catalina on a new laptop and the boot stops at "[ PCI configuration end, bridges 5, devices 20 ]" (as can be seen in the attached screenshots) but before that it also gives some ACPI errors and exceptions.

View attachment 449781 View attachment 449782

The laptop is an ASUS UX580GE with i7-8750H, UHD630 + 1050Ti, 8Gb, 1Tb NVME Samsung P981.

I attached the EFI archive of the USB stick I use and includes a fresh clover ACPI dump.

Any hints on how to fix this and make it to installer screen are appreciated.

Best regards
NVME Samsung PM981 is your issue, remove and replace with compatible hardware

Thank you for quick reply.

I was suspecting that this NVME (found a lot of issues regarding this NVME model) is the source of the issue as I got some NVME errors before I tried the fixRTC in Clover or use the NVMeFix kext from acidanthera.

I will replace the NVMe with one I use on my desktop that is working with Catalina and test it on this laptop and get back with some more info (I hope with a positive feedback).

You can find the Samsung PM961 online reasonable and its pretty quick. Running flawless on my Dell 7370

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 10.28.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 10.28.00 AM.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 71
@slipanot thank you for suggestion but it did not work.

@Feartech it seems the NVME is not the one that makes the boot process stop.

So I've replaced the PM981 with SM961 (256Gb), PM961 (256Gb), EVO 960 (1Tb), EVO Plus 970 (2Tb) and it stops at the same spot.
All the enumerated NVME used are with diferent versions of OsX installed on them and working.

I've checked the bios to be sure that I did not miss something and I have the following settings:
Advanced -> VT-d = disabled
Advanced -> Intel AES-NI = disabled
Advanced -> Inter Virtualization Technology = enabled
Advanced -> SMART Settings -> SMART Self Test = On
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support = enabled
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> USB Mass Storage Driver Suport = enabled
Advanced -> Graphics Configuration -> DVMT Pre-Allocated = 64M
Advanced -> SATA Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection = AHCI (only this option is available as the laptop has only 1 M.2 and no SATA)
Advanced -> Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration -> Security Level = User Authorization
Boot -> Fast Boot = disabled
Security -> Secure Boot Control = disabled

The above are all available options in BIOS.

I've tried with renaming the H_EC to EC using Clover or by using a fake EC injected via SSDT-EC.aml

As replacing NVME did not make any difference I started investigating the ACPI errors that were reported before the PCI start/end block and I found others that complained about getting stuck while booting the install with similar ACPI errors and they fixed by disabling USB XHCI Handoff.

For me this "easy" fix is not possible as this laptop bios has no XHCI Handoff option or USB emulated keyboard and mouse (as reported by some desktop users that did not have XHCI Handoff).

I will start looking into bios mods to find the hidden option for USB XHCI Handoff.

If any of you knows a way by using DSDT patches or Clover patches please share as I'd prefer a software patch than a bios mod. If this option is not possible then I will do a bios mod.

An interesting fact is that the Mojave installer got to install screen and I could do a test install.

The Catalina installer get stuck as I mention at the "PCI configuration end".

So the issue is not with BIOS or the NVME (changed the PM981 with a EVO 970 Plus) and I'm inclined to belive that the issue has something to do with the way Catalina dose things.

Any ideas that can reduce the search for this elusive issue are welcome.

Last edited:
Am interesting fact is that the Mojave installer got to install screen and I could do a test install.

The Catalina installer get stuck as I mention at the "PCI configuration end".

So the issue is not with BIOS or the NVME (changed the PM981 with a EVO 970 Plus) and I'm inclined to belive that the issue has something to do with the way Catalina dose things.

Any ideas that can reduce the search for this elusive issue are welcome.
did you make sure your EVO 970 Plus has the latest firmware?

Yes. The EVO 970 Plus has the latest firmware available (2B2QEXM7).
The Mojave install worked without any issues on this NVME and booted using the USB stick. I did not spend any time on completing the install (installing Clover on NVME, adding kexts and doing DSDT hotpatches).
The Catalina install with the same EFI used for Mojave install (and with EC rename or with SSDT-EC.aml) gets stuck at that PCI point and that is a big question mark as I do not see what is preventing it to continue.
The ACPI errors are present also on Mojave so they are not the ones preventing the boot (I will investigate them and find a way to fix them once I get the Catalina installed as I do not like to see errors :D ).

Last edited:
Ok.
I've managed to make it work and get to installer and identify the issue as being related to Coffe Lake PowerManagement.
As soon as I checked PluginType it no longer got stuck and continued and got to Installer screen.
I also changed the injection of UHD 630 from clover injected to latest Whatevergreen way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back