Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all.
I have a problem with my hack.
I7 9700k
2x vega64
Catalina
Final Cut Pro 10.4.7

Until some days ago all run fine but today I opened a project and I saw that FCPX is using only the CPU for rendering.
Both GPUs are in idle and not used.
I tried a fresh install, all is recognized perfectly but the problem is still there.

I cannot understand if the issue is related to Catalina, or Something in my hack because a week ago all was perfect and 10.4.7 was still there.

anyone can help me?

Until some days ago all run fine but today I opened a project and I saw that FCPX is using only the CPU for rendering. Both GPUs are in idle and not used.

@davidereitano,

Most Vega GPU's require very little extra configuration to get them working and in most instances simply installing Lilu + WhatEverGreen (WEG) is usually enough.

If you just updated to Catalina 10.15.1 then you must make sure you also update Lilu to 1.3.9 and WhatEverGreen to 1.3.4 as there where some critical changes made to WEG with regards to AMD GPU's working with macOS 10.15.1.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 and FCPX 10.4.7 with a Vega 64 LC (see White Knight build in my sig for full specs) and everything is working fine after I updated Lilu + WEG.

Thats about all I can think of ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@davidereitano,

Most Vega GPU's require very little extra configuration to get them working and in most instances simply installing Lilu + WhatEverGreen (WEG) is usually enough.

If you just updated to Catalina 10.15.1 then you must make sure you also update Lilu to 1.3.9 and WhatEverGreen to 1.3.4 as there where some critical changes made to WEG with regards to AMD GPU's working with macOS 10.15.1.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 and FCPX 10.4.7 with a Vega 64 LC (see White Knight build in my sig for full specs) and everything is working fine after I updated Lilu + WEG.

Thats about all I can think of ...

Cheers
Jay
Thanks Jay for your kindness.
I have tried to update both Kexts but the problem is not gone.
New installation, the system works perfectly but still no GPU rendering (I can see that on the boards LEDs and in Activity monitor).

I have tried to update both Kexts but the problem is not gone.
New installation, the system works perfectly but still no GPU rendering.

@davidereitano,

Very strange ..

With the latest versions of Lilu and WEG installed the next step would be to confirm the GPU ACPI device names ..
You can either look in the IOREG or use Hackintool Info -> System .. should be GFX0 or GFX1.

Check AMD framebuffer in use by looking in the IOREG ...
Ff using WEG and no SSDT then it will most likely be "ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer"

Something else to try would be enabling "Above 4G decoding" in the BIOS.

Failing that I would pull out the second Vega GPU's and get the system running with just one dGPU as that is a much more common configuration .. once working you can then add the second GPU back into the system.

Cheers
Jay

@davidereitano,

Very strange ..

With the latest versions of Lilu and WEG installed the next step would be to confirm the GPU ACPI device names ..
You can either look in the IOREG or use Hackintool Info -> System .. should be GFX0 or GFX1.

Check AMD framebuffer in use by looking in the IOREG ...
Ff using WEG and no SSDT then it will most likely be "ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer"

Something else to try would be enabling "Above 4G decoding" in the BIOS.

Failing that I would pull out the second Vega GPU's and get the system running with just one dGPU as that is a much more common configuration .. once working you can then add the second GPU back into the system.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you!
I checked, but I am definitely not able to do this.
Can you please explain how can I check and fix?

4G decoding is enabled

Can you please explain how can I check

@davidereitano,

As I said in my last post you can use Hackintool and IORegistryExplorer

In Hackingtool find your GPU(s) AHCI name in Info -> System .... should be GFX0 or GFX1

In IORegistryExplorer find the GPU device with the name derived from Hackingtool, scroll down until you find the framebuffers in use by the active displays .. look for "display0" with a sub device of "AppleDisplay" the AMD FB Name in use can then be derived by looking at the sub tree that they are connected to.

Here is what those look like on my system :-

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 15.20.16.png

Cheers
Jay

@davidereitano,

As I said in my last post you can use Hackintool and IORegistryExplorer

In Hackingtool find your GPU(s) AHCI name in Info -> System .... should be GFX0 or GFX1

In IORegistryExplorer find the GPU device with the name derived from Hackingtool, scroll down until you find the framebuffers in use by the active displays .. look for "display0" with a sub device of "AppleDisplay" the AMD FB Name in use can then be derived by looking at the sub tree that they are connected to.

Here is what those look like on my system :-

View attachment 436488

Cheers
Jay
Here is how mine looks now

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-18 16.58.24.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-18 16.58.24.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
Here is how mine looks now

@davidereitano,

Looks like WhatEverGreen is doing everything correctly, correct ACPI names for your GPU's (GFX0 + GFX1) and the correct AMD fame buffer is in use "ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer" ... from a MacOS perspective everything looks OK.

Check which GPU is in use in FCPX -> Preferences -> Playback

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 17.02.40.png
It looks like you are using the iMac17,1 SMBIOS:-

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 17.21.12.png

The iMac17,1 SMBIOS is for Skylake based CPU's.

You have a Coffee Lake CPU so you should really be using the iMac19,1 SMBIOS also make sure to enable the IGPU in the BIOS and configure it as "headless" with PlatformID 0x3E980003.

See the "Headless PlatformID's" of this guide for more information :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Still nothing.
Changed to 19,1 and fixed ig-platform-id but nothing.
I want to fix it with a Hammer.
Attached my config, is there something wrong?

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-11-20 alle 08.42.03.png
    Schermata 2019-11-20 alle 08.42.03.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 110
  • config.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 72
@davidereitano,

You have defined the PlatfromID incorrectly in your config.plist :-

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 14.29.08.png

In Clover Configuration the value of AAPL,ig-platfrom-id should read 0300983E (0x3E980003 in reverse byte order)

Or if we look at your raw code :-

Code:
<key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                AD6YAAM=
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
                <data>
                AAAwAQ==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>

The <data> value for the <key> AAPL,ig-platfrom-id should be "AwCYPg==" (without the quotes)

The only other thing I see wrong is that you are renaming the GPU ACPU devices using Clover :-

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 14.40.58.png

As it states in the Liliu + Plug-in's guide :-

It is best to let Lilu + WhatEverGreen do the ACPI renames
If your also using AppleALC for Audio then you should also let it do the renames for HECI and HDAS ..

I've attached a copy of your config.plist with the changes I think you need to make.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• config-changes.plist.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back