Register

Catalina to Sonoma upgrade w Clover 5155

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 570
Short answer, upgraded without any issues.

More detailed.
I recently did a full update from Monterey to Ventura, by doing a pave and install of my main drive. At which time I also updated to the latest Clover 5155 + kexts.
iMacPro is the current selected hardware SMBIOS.

I have a secondary internal SSD separated into multiple volumes for testing which I had Catalina, Monterey, Ventura, and Windows 10.

Today I was planning to updated Monterey to Sonoma, but the volume didn't have enough space so Catalina was updated instead.

No issues during the update.
Actually the update process went very smooth, and faster then some more recent updates. I guess Apple did some work here. Result:

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 9.23.58 AM.png

USB, Audio, Networking, multiple screens, all working and seem ok.

There is some chatter about Sonoma being faster then previous versions. I can't claim to support this, but there seems to be less lag when opening stuff. Monterey was bad for this, Ventura fixed most of it, maybe Apple has further improved this in Sonoma.

Anyhow Hacintoshes still have some life left with this latest release, Clover still works well, have fun!

Last edited:
Short answer, upgraded without any issues.

More detailed.
I recently did a full update from Monterey to Ventura, by doing a pave and install of my main drive. At which time I also updated to the latest Clover 5155 + kexts.
iMacPro is the current selected hardware SMBIOS.

I have a secondary internal SSD separated into multiple volumes for testing which I had Catalina, Monterey, Ventura, and Windows 10.

Today I was planning to updated Monterey to Sonoma, but the volume didn't have enough space so Catalina was updated instead.

No issues during the update.
Actually the update process went very smooth, and faster then some more recent updates. I guess Apple did some work here. Result:

View attachment 572170
USB, Audio, Networking, multiple screens, all working and seem ok.

There is some chatter about Sonoma being faster then previous versions. I can't claim to support this, but there seems to be less lag when opening stuff. Monterey was bad for this, Ventura fixed most of it, maybe Apple has further improved this in Sonoma.

Anyhow Hacintoshes still have some life left with this latest release, Clover still works well, have fun!
Good to know! I posted yesterday asking about it, no answers so far. My configuration is very similar, same CPU, MB is a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H and the GPU is the RX580, so I guess it should work to update directly from Catalina. Could you tell me what kexts did you include? Thank you

Last edited:
Good to know! I posted yesterday asking about it, no answers so far. My configuration is very similar, same CPU, MB is a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H and the GPU is the RX580, so I guess it should work to update directly from Catalina. Could you tell me what kexts did you include? Thank you
Yeah don't expect much replies, or any, if you are still using Clover. Seems everyone has moved over to OC and forgot this still works just fine. BTW I think there is a thread on that board by someone else.

here is what I have:
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 9.34.23 AM.png

Yeah don't expect much replies, or any, if you are still using Clover. Seems everyone has moved over to OC and forgot this still works just fine. BTW I think there is a thread on that board by someone else.

here is what I have:
View attachment 573191
probably do not need SMCBatteryManager.kext. :)

here is what I have:
View attachment 573191
Thanks so much, this is really helpful!
I am using still clover, is the way I always did.

(update)
I just noticed that Sonoma installer is greyed out, I cannot update directly nor create an bootable usb. I think this is because my actual system denomination is set to an Imac 14,2 (check attachment) What system definition should I need to have? Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 22.17.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 22.17.57.png
    45 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thanks so much, this is really helpful!
I am using still clover, is the way I always did.

(update)
I just noticed that Sonoma installer is greyed out, I cannot update directly nor create an bootable usb. I think this is because my actual system denomination is set to an Imac 14,2 (check attachment) What system definition should I need to have? Thanks again.
iMac18,1 iMac19,1 may help

Last edited:
Thank you. Did you have 18,1 on Catalina?
actually, iMac18,1 is kabylake which is fine for Catalina

for Sonoma, then iMac19,1 which is a coffeelake

Back