Ryzen 9 3950X
Graphics
GTX 770 / RTX 2070 super
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I’m in a bit of a predicament and I’m hoping someone can assist. My work laptop needs to go in for repair and I have to migrate my setup to my desktop to keep working in the mean time. I’ve got a good bit of experience setting up hackintosh machines (I had it on this one until recently when I wasn't using it enough) but I’m stuck on an issue at the moment. So the main problem is my laptop is currently running Big Sur so I need my hackintosh setup to do so also so I can migrate using the assistant. I got Catalina setup on my 3950x and gtx 770 but I’m having an issue installing big sur. when i go to enter the installer I get a black screen after the loading screen. The display turns off and on like it’s getting a signal but nothing shows at all. I have setup new EFI with the newest opencore, experimental patches for the CPU and newest kexts.

I’ve been stuck on this for 2 days and nothing I’ve tried has resolved it. If anyone had any suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 92
Hey guys,

I’m in a bit of a predicament and I’m hoping someone can assist. My work laptop needs to go in for repair and I have to migrate my setup to my desktop to keep working in the mean time. I’ve got a good bit of experience setting up hackintosh machines (I had it on this one until recently when I wasn't using it enough) but I’m stuck on an issue at the moment. So the main problem is my laptop is currently running Big Sur so I need my hackintosh setup to do so also so I can migrate using the assistant. I got Catalina setup on my 3950x and gtx 770 but I’m having an issue installing big sur. when i go to enter the installer I get a black screen after the loading screen. The display turns off and on like it’s getting a signal but nothing shows at all. I have setup new EFI with the newest opencore, experimental patches for the CPU and newest kexts.

I’ve been stuck on this for 2 days and nothing I’ve tried has resolved it. If anyone had any suggestions I would be extremely grateful.
Try this EFI, you should change out the Devices section with what is appropriate for your mobo etc.. Also you will need to add serial, UUID etc...

Go to bios and set above 4G decoding = true, and disable CSM.

This is a copy of Casey.SJ's EFi with some deletions and changes. If this doesnt work you may want to try his out.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 108
Try this EFI, you should change out the Devices section with what is appropriate for your mobo etc.. Also you will need to add serial, UUID etc...

Go to bios and set above 4G decoding = true, and disable CSM.

This is a copy of Casey.SJ's EFi with some deletions and changes. If this doesnt work you may want to try his out.
Thank you so much for replying, I've been struggling to get any assistance whatsoever and I felt I was too tunnelled on the problem. I'll try this EFI now.

When I try to disable CSM on my motherboard it displays an error saying the vga card is not supported and when I render bios or continue it resets to enabled. any thoughts on this?

Thank you again

Having an different problem on the loading screen this time for the installer.

also my mobo dosent have 4g decoding but it worked with Catalina. It also worked with the CSM enabled, has something changed with big sur? I’m really stuck on this and I can’t work from home until I get it setup. Just stressing over this thing for the last 2+ days is driving me mad now

Attachments

• B9591133-BFB6-4B62-88BF-1BA80B998860.jpeg
    B9591133-BFB6-4B62-88BF-1BA80B998860.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Having an different problem on the loading screen this time for the installer.

also my mobo dosent have 4g decoding but it worked with Catalina. It also worked with the CSM enabled, has something changed with big sur? I’m really stuck on this and I can’t work from home until I get it setup. Just stressing over this thing for the last 2+ days is driving me mad now
Add boot arg. npci=0x2000

Add boot arg. npci=0x2000
Thank you very much mte, with the EFI, the command above and a couple of tweaks I was able to get big sur installed and my laptop migrated (after 6 hours via WiFi from the laptop). I only have a couple things to clear up now. If you don't mind me listing a couple things i'm going to be attempting to fix if you happen to know any resources/solutions for any of them. (also I'm still not 100% sure why its displaying in one config vs the other. that will annoy me a bit haha).

- my DisplayPort monitor is not working at the moment. it worked in Catalina

- I want to make sure I am getting the best use out of my Ryzen CPU as possible. I remember install some AMD OS specific kexts and tools last time. I need to see if these are working big sur and configure them correctly.

Thank you very much mte, with the EFI, the command above and a couple of tweaks I was able to get big sur installed and my laptop migrated (after 6 hours via WiFi from the laptop). I only have a couple things to clear up now. If you don't mind me listing a couple things i'm going to be attempting to fix if you happen to know any resources/solutions for any of them. (also I'm still not 100% sure why its displaying in one config vs the other. that will annoy me a bit haha).

- my DisplayPort monitor is not working at the moment. it worked in Catalina

- I want to make sure I am getting the best use out of my Ryzen CPU as possible. I remember install some AMD OS specific kexts and tools last time. I need to see if these are working big sur and configure them correctly.
I would hold off on the tools, last time I tried the TrulySpinach AMD monitor tools In Big Sur they borked the system. Check the github site and see if it’s been updated. It worked great in Catalina.

Diaplayports? Did you test all of them? Big Sur has all new kexts for graphics. I’ve noticed a few people with similar issues with multi monitors and ports. The Nvidia kexts are probably on the low end of their priorities. Patches may be needed for the graphics cards to get ports working.

I would hold off on the tools, last time I tried the TrulySpinach AMD monitor tools In Big Sur they borked the system. Check the github site and see if it’s been updated. It worked great in Catalina.

Diaplayports? Did you test all of them? Big Sur has all new kexts for graphics. I’ve noticed a few people with similar issues with multi monitors and ports. The Nvidia kexts are probably on the low end of their priorities. Patches may be needed for the graphics cards to get ports working.
Thanks for you reply. I got everything I listed above sorted now.

my only remaining problems are that my Bluetooth usb stopped working (worked in Catalina and I don’t think I did anything to get it working)

and just confirming if there is anything else I should do for the nvidia card?

ps also added nvmeFix for my Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back